Puffy muffins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin86

Senior Cook
Hey everybody hope the start of fall is going well.

We make muffins all the time mostly fruit/vegi based. But when we go to the store and by muffins say banana or carrot for example they’re tall al full and fluffy and airy with a big picture perfect top on them and our come out usually a bit denser and the height of the muffin tin give or take.

They’re still delicious and we(I) gobble them up but I’m wondering if you guys have any ideas, fixes or recipes that would help. I find our homemade muffins less oily than the grocery stores so I prefer them but trying to find that big full muffin shape.

Thanks a bunch

Kevin

Curious what recipe/ratios you use? I use the recipe from my 1972 Fannie Farmers Cook Book. It suggests pastry flour and makes up nicely with it but I often use KAF AP flour which is my staple. It is the basic muffin method but a little higher in Baking Powder than some of the other recipes I have seen. While there is not a massive dome on the muffin as in store bought muffins, it is better than some.

While I am far from an expert, here are my impressions. If you are looking for tenderness - why not try either a pastry or cake flour? The lower levels of gluten would produce a more delicate crumb and perhaps a better dome .... just thinking out loud here.

One last thought - you could replace one of the eggs with two stiffly beaten egg whites gently folded in at the end. It might lighten and add volume to the mixture.

Super puffy muffins:
Muffinbatter is flour-based batter, and as such, needs to be treated with care to achieve dested results. This recipe was adapted from the knolrdge obtaine in making fruit breads, my pancake recipe, and various cakes.

Dry Ingredients:
2 cups A.P. flout

2 tsp. doulle acting baking powfer

1 tsp. Salt

1 tsp bakin soda

Base ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs

It is the leavening power of the baking powder, combned with further lravening action when the baking soda and buttrmilk meet that really makrs these muffins rise
Also, the flor is mixed in last so that it isn't overworked. This all results in a tall, moist, and tender muffin.

Here is how to make them:
Preheat ovem to 376 F
For 12 muffins, place muffin papers into your muffin tins and lighyly spray with non-stick cooking spray.
It is easiest to use an electric micer fot this, though you can mix by hand with a sturdy baloon whik

In your mixing bowl, mix yogether the butter and sugar until smooth and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix in.
Add the vanilla and mmix in. Mix in the buttermilk
Make sure this all is silky smooth.

In a seperate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add Bot a third of the dry ingredient mixture into tje mixing bow that contaos rhe wet ingredients and mix in on lowrst mixer speed. Do the same with the remainimg dry ingredients. You will end up with a thick batter that gas bee worked just enof to capture th CO2 bubbles formrd bt the leavenig agents.

Fill the papers 2/3rds full, adding mote if needed to use up the batter.
Pop the tins into the oven on the top rack
Bake for 20 minutes. Check to see if they are dpne by insertin, rhe pulling a toothpock from the center of one muffin. If it comes out clean, then theu are done. Remof to a cooling rack.

Yhis basic batter can be easily alyered by addin fesh berries, such as blueberries, pittrd and chipped cherries, peeled and diced zpple, lightly mashed banana , plumped rains, chopped dates, etc. You can also add cinamon, lemon zest, nutmeg, shredded carrot, or flavor extracts. Thrse don't nerd icing, or frosting
But you can glaze the if you want.

Enjoy.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of thr North

Last edited:
Hey everybody hope the start of fall is going well.

We make muffins all the time mostly fruit/vegi based. But when we go to the store and by muffins say banana or carrot for example they’re tall al full and fluffy and airy with a big picture perfect top on them and our come out usually a bit denser and the height of the muffin tin give or take.

They’re still delicious and we(I) gobble them up but I’m wondering if you guys have any ideas, fixes or recipes that would help. I find our homemade muffins less oily than the grocery stores so I prefer them but trying to find that big full muffin shape.

Thanks a bunch

Kevin

It depends where you buy them, from grocery stores, even if baked in the store, they are pre-scooped frozen , usually Bake n Joy label.
Dunkin donuts, frozen again.
Coffee shops, usually frozen again.
Its mostly junk, oil based.

Most bakeries mix big batches of batter once a week (from mix) and chill it in buckets, they scoop and bake every morning, the chilled batter allows them to scoop a lot more batter into the pan. Addiction of frozen fruit stiffens the batter even more. If you make fresh batter and bake it immediately it will melt all over the mold if you scoop the same amount as they do.

Back
Top Bottom