Question about cake pans......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runninduo

Senior Cook
I have springform pans, bundt-type pans, mini-springform pans, and square pans, but I don't have any plain ole' regular round cake pans. I wanted to get two (of the same size) so I could experiment with layered cakes. The recipes I've seen range from using 8-10in round pans. Any suggestions on which to start with? Or, should I really just buy the size I need for the given recipe and then keep adding to my pan repertoire.

how much leeway is there with pan size? obviously if i buy the 8 or 9 inch pans and the recipe calls for a larger pan, i can bake the extra in muffin tins. can i get away with using 9 in pans for a recipe that calls for an 8 inch pan.

Don't hate me for making your head spin with my convoluted question. LOL

Thanks.

You certainly can do what you are suggesting, but it might be a good idea to increase or decrease baking time proportionatly to the size of the pan. So if you have a recipe calling for a 10 inch pan, and you want to use an 8 inch pan, my instinct would be to up your baking time by 20%, to compensate for a 20% increase in thickness. If you put the same volume of batter in a pan with 2 less inches in diameter, that will result in a 2 inch increase in the thickness of the cake, right? Uggh, I have to think about this; my math may be wrong. And of course, this is all assuming that baking time is directly proportionate to thickness, which is not certain.

Thanks Jason!

I'm not sure.....i didn't do the math since it would be based on volume. If I had both sizes of pans, i could fill them with water to get the volume. I'm guessing the formula for volume is something like the height of the pan x diameter x pi.

Anyway, thanks.......I think 'll get some 9 in pans. I recently made a cheesecake in a 9in pan that called for an 8 in pan and it came out fine (just baked it for the short end of the range given). I tend to like thinner layers of things. This way, it's also not such a far stretch as it would be from the 10in to the 8 inch pan.

Time to go shopping!

8" x 1½" round pan = 1 quart capacity
8" x 2" round pan = 1½ quarts capacity

9" x 1½" pan = 1½ quarts capacity
9" x 2" pan = 2 quarts capacity

8" x 8" x 1½" square pan = 1½ quarts
8" x 8" x 2" square pan = 2 quarts

9½" x 2½" springform = 2½ quarts
10" x 2½" springform = 3 quarts

2¾" x 1-3/8" muffin cups = scant ½ cup capacity

9" x 3" Bundt pan = 2¼ quarts (9 cups)
10" x 3½" Bundt = 3 quarts (12 cups)

I keep a wide range of similar comparative measurements on hand for quick reference at work, as well as in my home kitchen.

Yes, but what is the increase in thickness? This was what we needed to calculate.

Thanks Kon!

I'm printing out your post and putting in my recipe binder! Actually, maybe the key is to get the shallower 9in pan b/c then it has the same volume as the deeper 8 inch pan. Then, I know it's the right amt of batter and just have to monitor the baking time.

awesome!!!!!

Laurie:

Go to http://www.wrenscottage.com/kitchen/tips/tips.php.

Scroll down to “Guidelines,” click on both Party Cakes lines, then print out the charts “for determining batter amounts, servings, and cooking times for your pans.” Comprises many pan sizes (from 6" to 16") and pan shapes (round, square, sheet, oval, petal, heart, hexagon, and petal).

A good set of data for every dedicated baker to have on hand for ready reference.

Thanks again Kon.

Just went to the site. Very odd......when I click on the link for the 3in deep pans, I get the same dimensions as for the 2 in pans.

Very odd. They must have attached the wrong link or something.

The information is very useful.

One thing is confusing me (and I didn't do the math)

from a 7in to an 8 in pan, there's a difference in 1/2 cup of batter
from an 8 in pan to a 9 in pan, there's a 2.5 cup difference in batter
from 9 to 10 inches, there's a 1/2 cup difference

Doesn't seem logical to me.

Also, I'm still at a loss for which size pans to buy. I think I may buy 8 and 9 inch pans. There seems to be a more significant difference b/t the 8 and 9 inch pans. If I have a recipe calling for a 10 in pan, I'll use the 9 and have batter left over. OK........problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom