Question about Donuts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gpalexiades

Assistant Cook
Hello,

Is it possible to make Donuts using boxed cake mix? If so, what do I
have to add to it? I have a non-stick donut pan that I will use to
bake them in.

Thank you,
George

Hmm....interesting question.

I've always made cake donuts by frying them. I have a donut press that is filled with batter. After releasing a certain amount of batter through the bottom in a donut shape into the hot oil, you simply fry them.

I imagine you could use the cake mix in your moulds....but all you'll have is cake mix cake in the shape of donuts.

With molds and baking you really need to use a much lighter donut mix, otherwise almost anything else you use will turn out very cakish. Not bad if making old fashioned donuts.

You can make your own donuts?
I guess why not? I hope we get some good recipes here. There's no donut shop where I live, I would love to make a couple donuts now and then.

I have the same type donut batter dispenser as you, Vera. Pretty easy to accurately dispense the batter into the hot oil. I, too, have never heard of baking donuts in a pan, but I'm sure it's done.

Pacanis, if you want to "cheat" making risen donuts, you can use the "grands" biscuits. Cut a hole in the center with a small cutter and drop the biscuit donut and holes into hot oil. Fry until golden on both sides. Remove with a slotted spoon or spider and place on wire racks. Dust with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar.

Think cupcake pan but instead they look like donuts. The batter should be runny and poured into the mold then baked in the oven. They will be nothing like a Krispy Kreme, more like the cake like ones you get at a bakery.

Thank you to all of you who helped me with my Donut question. I think I'll buy a Donut Despencer this coming week. It sounds like a great idea.

George

Pacanis, if you want to "cheat" making risen donuts, you can use the "grands" biscuits. Cut a hole in the center with a small cutter and drop the biscuit donut and holes into hot oil. Fry until golden on both sides. Remove with a slotted spoon or spider and place on wire racks. Dust with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar.

Thanks, but I tried Paula Dean's honey infused deep fried biscuits and they were one of the worse things I've ever had. I don't think I'll ever be able to deep fry a biscuit and eat it again... :huh: even with a hole in it.
I love plain donuts, or when we had one in "the city" Dunkin' Donuts "dunkin" donuts... hey, did I just repeat myself :LOL: Gotta have something to dunk in your coffee when Tim Tams aren't available.
Dang, I sure do miss donuts.

Gotta have something to dunk in your coffee when Tim Tams aren't available. Dang, I sure do miss donuts.

Okay, I'll bite ... what are Tim Tams? And I'd love to see a recipe for those old fashioned 'sour cream' donuts if anybody has one they've tried. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom