Question about flour for cakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been making cakes and used only all-purpose flour. My question is, for many recipes, why do they call for whole-wheat and all-purpose, same quantities for both? I've made it with only all-purpose and they've been fine but is there something I'm missing? Does the combination of flours make the cake better? I don't want to combine them and have a cake end up a horrid creation, so anyone know?

Some people like the added nutrition offered by the whole wheat flour.

You should consider cake recipes using cake flour. It is lower in protien content than AP flour and will result in lighter, softer textured cakes. However, you cannot sub cake flour for AP one for one. You have to reduce the liquid in the recipe as cake flour absorbs less liquid than AP flour.

So WW is just for added nutrition? Cake flour does sound good, but I don't want to mess around with recipes from a good cookbook. I've done that in the past with pudding and it turned out to have a better use as concrete than food.

You best bet is to try a recipe and decide for yourself if you like it. If you don't, you'll have to switch to another cookbook.

Back
Top Bottom