Quick sour cream coffee cake
adapted from Joy of Cooking, 1975 edition, ISBN 0-672-51831-7
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Prepare an 8"x8" or 9"x9" square pan. I butter the pan and sprinkle with flour.
- 2 tblsps flour
- 5 tblsps brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tlbsps cold butter
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
Mix the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Add the butter and blend it with a pastry cutter or fork, so the butter pieces are tiny. Add the choped nuts. Put it in the fridge and make the batter.
coffee cake batter
- 1 1/2 cups whole grain wheat flour (hard or soft)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup cultured sour cream or yoghurt
- 2 eggs
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl with a fork or whisk.
- Whisk the eggs and sour cream or yoghurt well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and stir (I use a silicone spatula) until just moistened. This works on a muffin principle, so don't over beat it.
- Pour it into the prepared baking pan.
- Put the streusel topping on top.
Bake for 20-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. It bakes faster in the larger pan.