Rainbow cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VickiQ

Sous Chef
Last Friday was Kiersten's 19th birthday.This year she asked me to make her a rainbow cake- she wanted a cake like the rainbow cookies I usually make but, she wanted cakey layers not, cookie layers.So here is what I came up with and the cake was a HUGE success with the birthday girl and her friends.:)

Rainbow cake
1 box white cake mix
1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
3 food colorings of your choice(we used green, yellow and red)
1/4 cup raspberry preserves
1/4 cup cherry preserves
Frosting
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven 350
Follow the directions on the cake mix box adding the almond extract. Divide into 3 bowls tinting as you choose.
Pour into 3 prepared 8inch square pans.Bake for about 20-25 minutes. Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes.Remove from pans and cool completely.

Meanwhile heat the heavy cream in a small saucepan until boiling.Remove from heat and pour in the chocolate chips DO NOT STIR. let stand for about 5 minutes, then stir until satiny smooth. Place in the refridgerator for about a half hour-45 minutes until spreading consitency.

To assemble cake:
Place layer of your choosing on cake plate.Spread with either one of the perserves.Top with center layer and spread remaining preserves.Place last layer on top.Refridgerate assembled cake about 45 minutes.
When cake and ganache are ready spread ganache on tops and sides of cake smoothing as you go.(I sprinkled colored sprinkles all over the top).Refridgerate for a couple of hours before serving.
Let stand about 10 minutes before serving for easier slicing!!
This was the first time there was NO left overs in all the years I've been making birthday cakes!!!

That's great hat it worked out for you Vicki. How is the birthday girl doing anyway ? Please give her a b-day hug for me.

middie said:
That's great hat it worked out for you Vicki. How is the birthday girl doing anyway ? Please give her a b-day hug for me.

Kiersten is doing well- thanks for asking Middie.She is working 2 jobs - her choice-and does ge frazzled but, seems to be staying on track!!!:)

Back
Top Bottom