Raw Egg flavor in Cakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sheff

Assistant Cook
I have another question which has stumped me for ages and now luckily I have found this forum..which may provide the answer.
Everytime my wife either bakes her own cake....or purchases the supermarket pre-packaged "cake mix" which entails adding eggs and/or milk and just beating the whole lot and baking them....the outcome is always a cake.....with the taste of "raw eggs" I am just wondering why this occurs. She always tests the cake prior to bringing it out from the oven...where she inserts a skewer in the middle of it and if it comes out clean....the cake is baked. So it cannot be "under-baking" But the taste...even when it is chocolate and/or any other flavour........is that of "raw eggs"?????

I can't imagine what could make them taste like that. In all of my years of baking homemade or store bought cake mixes, I have never had that problem. My always seem to smell and taste like vanilla. I can't wait to see what our baking experts have to say. I hope they can help you.

I have used cake mixes and homemade recipes, and have never encountered that situation with the eggs..unless perhaps the eggs used are not good, or in the freshest state??

Sheff, is it possible that you have unusually sensitive senses? I notice your other thread is referring to something you can smell but your wife can't. I have an unusually sensitive nose so I sympathize a bit. I suspect that you have very sensitive taste buds and a sensitive nose. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do about this except learn to do things to make it work for you.

I have no idea about the egg thing either. I have never heard of that. Sorry sheff.

Humm ... very curious problem sheff. I, too, am stumped as to what a raw egg flavor is.

Aside from some flavoring from the chicken feed, about the only two flavors in raw eggs that you "might" be tasting would be either the natural iron or sulfur, or maybe a combination. The first things that pop to my mind are:

1) Do you notice this problem with other cooked egg dishes?
2) Do you notice this problem with cakes purchased from a commercial bakery?
3) How fresh are the eggs (from the store)?

If you don't taste a "raw egg" flavor from commercialy baked goods - one solution might be to substitute powdered eggs (gag- what an awful taste they have to me) or try freezing the eggs for a minimum of 72-hours before thawing and using.

thank you friends.
1) Yes..I do accept the notion that I have an extremely sensitive smell and taste. I know because what I taste and smell...my family does not. It must be genetic or something. I know that it started when I gave up smoking around 19 years ago. When I smoked it did not work
2) Yes I also taste the "raw egg' flavour in commercially prepared cakes....EXCEPT in my favourite type of cakes.....mudcake. For some reason in a mudcake I cannot taste it

Hey hey,
I have only really experienced this once when i used some duck eggs in a cake, the taste of egg in the finished product was overwhelming. Also, i tend to shy away from package cakes if only for the fact that they taste well... chemically to me. Some of the more expensive ones seem to be ok though. Have you ever considered making an oil based cake? I have the recipe for the most deliously moist mud cake that contains no eggs at all... (good for vegans too). I am at work at the moment but i'll send you the recipe tonight.
Bethsy :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom