REC: Chocolate Layer Cake With Fresh Fruit On Top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Inferno

Washing Up
Today I made a cake that wasn't too bad. In fact, it was really good, which for me is an accomplishment. Here is a photo, tell me what you think of it. The detail may not be very good because I was so excited while cooking, I simply used my camera phone. Hopefully, you can see most of it. I'm not sure on the name of it, probably chocolate layer fruit cake or something. Anyways, if you like it, I'll post the recipe. I took most of it from a Weight Watchers cookbook but added in some extras myself that were not in there simply because I thought it'd be good.

Attachments

• Image051.jpg
    Image051.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 208
I'd like to have anything chocolate and low fat. Is it from a weight watchers cookbook? I'd like the recipe please.

Here goes for the recipe:
1 1/3 cups AP flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp coffee (or more)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4-1/3 cup granulated sugar
2.5-3 tbsp butter/margarine
1 egg
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
Bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
Tsp or less of water
Full bottle of brandy (brandy for the cake since it's thirsty and brandy for me since I'm thirsty).

Spread cake mix into 2 square dishes. Bake until toothpicks can be pulled in and out cleanly. Take them out, let them cool off. Use a knife, cut around the edges and pop them both out, preferably in one piece. 1 of them is your base, where the chocolate mix described below goes on. Then, the other cake square goes on chocolate mix. Ontop of that goes more chocolate mix and fruit.

WW calls for confectioner's sugar and apricot spread but instead I took a pack of semi-sweet chocolate chips with a nice amount of brandy and very little water. Then, I microwaved it with a lid on for 1 min on high. Using paddle thing, I spread it on the cake layers. Any remaining chips in the bag or dish were re-microwaved and re-soaked in brandy and put under the fruit on the top. The fruit on the top can be diced or simply out of a can of DelMonte Very Cherry Fruit Salad.

Looks GREAT Inferno! Thanks for posting the recipe. I'm going to change the title of your thread so people know what kind of cake it is.

You lost me with the brandy ... but since it's got coffee in it, I'll substitute Kahlua. Yummy, thanks for the ideas. I love chocolate!

You lost me with the brandy ... but since it's got coffee in it, I'll substitute Kahlua. Yummy, thanks for the ideas. I love chocolate!

Brandy + Chocolate + Fruit = Very good
That's why I put it in there. Also:
Brandy = Good
Kahlua would probably work also.

I'm sure it's wonderful, I'm just a wienie with alcohol in my food. It's gotta be pretty benign not to bother me, for some strange reason. Enjoy your cake, it looks fantabulous! ;)

I'm sure it's wonderful, I'm just a wienie with alcohol in my food. It's gotta be pretty benign not to bother me, for some strange reason. Enjoy your cake, it looks fantabulous! ;)

I have a friend that is the same way. turns out she is mildly allergic to alcohol...

Oh, my favorite topping for chocolate cake... Butter..

Back
Top Bottom