REC - Deep Dark Chocolate Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SierraCook

Master Chef
As requested by Goodweed. My mom made this all the time for birthdays, etc. when I was a kid. It is one of my favorites. She got the recipe off the back of the Hershey's cocoa can.

Deep Dark Chocolate Cake

1 ¾ cups unsifted flour
2 cups sugar
¾ cups cocoa
1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
½ cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup boiling water

Combine dry ingredients. Add remaining ingredients, except boiling water, to dry ingredients; beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Remove mixer. Stir in boiling water. Pour into two greased and floured 9” or three 8” layer pans or one 13x9-inch pan. Bake at 350º for 30 to 35 minutes for layers or 35 to 40 minutes for 13x9-inch pan or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool for ten minutes and then remove from pans. (Cake may be left in rectangular pan, if desired.) Frost with One Bowl Buttercream Frosting. 8 to 10 servings.

Buttercream Frosting

6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
2-2/3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup
Cocoa
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Beat butter in medium bowl. Add powdered sugar and cocoa alternately with milk, beating to spreading consistency (additional milk may be needed). Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.

Last edited:
Ahhh, Sierra, now I have to watch LOTR again, lol! I am a hobbit, you know - have been called one since the 60's-actually lived in a little basement apartment in Boston that had a round door!

TYSM for that cake recipe - it's just like one my mom used to make, too, and I had lost the recipe somewhere! Definitely cutting and pasting!

Marm, you are welcome for the recipe. I just recently watched all three movies. It took me several days, but it was worth it. When I was younger I thought that it would be neat to live underground in a hobbitlike house.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom