REC - Glazed Lemon Pound Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SierraCook

Master Chef
I made this cake today. This recipe is one of my favorites.

lemoncake0ml.jpg

Glazed Lemon Pound Cake

CAKE

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 Tablespoon grated lemon peel
3 cups all purpose or unbleached flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup milk

GLAZE

1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons butter

Heat oven to 350º. Generously spray 12-cup bundt pan with Pam. In large bowl, combine 1 cup butter and 2 cups sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in lemon peel. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Add flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and milk; beat low speed until smooth. Spoon batter into sprayed pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes. Invert cake onto serving plate.

Meanwhile, in small non-aluminum saucepan, combine 1/3 cup sugar, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons butter. Heat over medium heat until butter melts, stirring occasionally. With long-tined fork or skewer, liberally prick top and sides of cake. Brush warm glaze over cake, allowing glaze to soak into cake. Cool 1½ hours or until completely cooled. 16 servings

HIGH ALTITUDE

Increase flour to 3½ cups. Bake as directed above.

Copying! WOW! I love pound cake and until now my orange cornmeal one was the hit around here. I think this one just (forgive the pun) took the cake though.

This sounds so good and refreshing Sierra--thanks!

Alix, your orange cornmeal cake sounds really interesting--would you mind posting the recipe?

mudbug said:
Sierra, your co-workers must hope that you NEVER leave with all the good stuff you bring in for them!

I love to cook, but don't need to eat all that stuff myself. Since I am single, I take it to work. I don't think they mind, at all!! You would think that all those guys have never had homemade goods before. The guys sure like to eat!! The other day they were planning BBQ's for next summer.

My brother made chicken soup the other day and brought me some. It was very nice to be on the receiving end. :)

Sierra, I made your pound cake yesterday afternoon & it is wonderful!! It really took care of my lemon craving yesterday. I was so anxious for it to be done that I cut a piece while it was still warm. Thanks for posting this!!:)

It was so easy & really didn't take a lot of time. The only thing I did different was use 1/2C. milk & 1/2C. whipping cream. I thought I had enough milk but when I measured it I only had 1/2C. so I just made up the difference with whipping cream.

Ok.......don't laugh..........and yes I'm a blonde and a pretty intellegent one if I do say so myself but not a clue as to this whole high altitude stuff......I'd never heard this term since I've been cooking. I've heard about humidity and not to make certain things on humid days but I'm assuming when you say high altitude your talking about people that live far up north? I'm in Indiana myself.

A very good question. High altitude has to due with elevation. Basically, hight altitude is is anyone who lives above 3,000' feet in elevation. Since, I live at 5,000' sometimes adjustments are needed for certain recipes. Here are some high altitude tips for baking cakes.
Most cake recipes perfected for sea level need no modifications up to 3,000 feet. Above that, decreased atmospheric pressure may result in excessive rising, which stretches the cell structure of the cake, making the texture coarse, or breaks the cells, causing the cake to fall. This usually is corrected by decreasing the amount of leavening agent. Also, increasing the baking temperature 15 to 25 degrees "sets" the batter before the cells formed by the leavening gas expand too much. Excessive evaporation of water at high altitude leads to high concentration of sugar, which weakens the cell structure. Therefore, decrease sugar in the recipe and increase liquid. Only repeated experiments with each recipe can give the most successful proportions to use. Try the smaller adjustment first, this may be all that is needed.

In making rich cakes at high altitudes, you might have to reduce shortening by 1 or 2 tablespoons. Fat, like sugar, weakens the cell structure. Also, increasing the amount of egg strengthens the cell structure and may prevent the too-rich cake from falling.

At altitudes above 3,000 feet...

...preparation of food may require changes in time, temperature or recipe. The reason, lower atmosphere pressure due to thinner blanket of air above. At sea level, the presses on a square inch of surface with 14.7 pounds, at 5,000 feet with 12.3 pounds, and at 10,000 feet with only 10.2 pounds - a decrease of about 1/2 pound per 1,000 feet. This decreased pressure affects food preparation in two ways:

• 1. Water and other liquids evaporate faster and boil at lower temperatures.
    2. Leavening gases in breads and cakes expand more.
For more information check out this website.

http://www.cerc.colostate.edu/Titles/P41.html#cakemixes

That sounds exactly like the cake my grandmother used to make. I remember it being so moist and refreshing. I will definitely make it. Thanks a bunch.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom