REC:Great Pumpkin Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piccolina

Executive Chef
This is sooooo adorable - if I were throwing a Halloween party I would make this for sure! (I'd make my own make cake though, as opposed to boxed mixes.) It could also be used at Thanksgiving time too :)

Great Pumpkin Cake

Prep Time: 20 min
Total Time: 1 hr 5 min
Makes: 24 servings

1 pkg. (2-layer) cake mix (any flavor)
1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar

Few drops each: green, red and yellow food colorings

1 COMET Cup (aka, a paper cup)

PREPARE and bake cake mix in 12-cup fluted tube pan as directed on package. Cool 10 min. in pan. Remove from pan to wire rack; cool completely.

BEAT cream cheese and butter in small bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy after each addition. Remove 1/2 cup of the frosting; place in small bowl. Add green food coloring; stir until well blended. Spread half of the green frosting onto outside of ice cream cone; set aside. Set remaining green frosting aside for later use.

ADD red and yellow food colorings to remaining white frosting to tint it orange. Place cake, rounded-side up, on serving plate. Spread with orange frosting to resemble pumpkin. Invert ice cream cone in hole in top of cake for the "pumpkin's stem." Pipe the reserved green frosting in vertical lines down side of cake (see Tip)

Cooking Know-How
For a more rounded Great Pumpkin Cake, use a tall 12-cup fluted tube pan. As the cake bakes, it rises and forms a rounded top. When cake is unmolded (upside-down), the bottom of the cake will be rounded. If the cake is baked in a shorter 12-cup fluted tube pan, as it appears on the video, the resulting cake will be flatter.

Fun Idea
Place black gumdrops on sheet of wax paper sprinkled with additional sugar. Use a rolling pin to thinly flatten each gumdrop, turning frequently to coat both sides with sugar. Cut into desired shapes with a sharp knife. Use to decorate frosted cake to resemble a jack-o'-lantern.

The_Great_Pumpkin_Cake.jpg

How cute! I love the black gumdrop idea, too. I think I'd use a spice cake recipe. It would go nicely with the cream cheese icing and taste more "fallish".

PA Baker said:
How cute! I love the black gumdrop idea, too. I think I'd use a spice cake recipe. It would go nicely with the cream cheese icing and taste more "fallish".
That is a splendid idea PA!!! I was wondering if my pumpkin loaf cake recipe could be adapted for this (pumpkin = a pumpkin cake :LOL:), but a spice cake might be easier, as we don't seem to have canned pumpkin in Ireland (yes, I was shocked to discover this!) so I make my pumpkin puree from scratch :) A dense carrot cake might work too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom