Rec Luther Burbank Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
Luther Burbank was a relative of mine. His birthday is celebrated as Arbor Day, and trees are planted in his memory.

Luther invented over 800 varieties and strains of plants, including plums, berries, lillies, peaches and the Burbank potato and the Shasta daisy!

This is a recipe that was awarded 1st price in the 1981 Sonoma County Fair in California. It was an original honoring Luther's success with potatoes, prunes and walnuts.

I have not tried it and wont...I'm not at all a fan of prunes OR walnuts, but I thought the history was fun to share!

1 1/2 C dried prunes
1 C mashed potatoes
1/2 C salad oil
2 C sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
2 C four, white or whole wheat, unsifted
1 1/4 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp allspice
1 C chopped walnuts

Simmer prunes until tender. Drain. Reserve 1/2 c liquid. Pit and chop prunes. Beat oil, sugar, and vanilla until well mixed. Add eggs one at a time. Add potatoes and mix well. Mix dry ingredients together and add alternately with prune liquid. Add prunes and nuts. Pour into greased and floured 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350* for 50 minutes or until done.

Frost with cream cheese frosting.

Luther Burbank Cake

I was so surprised and happy to stumble upon this recipe. My mother created this cake in honor of Luther Burbank when she was a docent at his home in Santa Rosa, California and as you mention won a blue ribbon at the county fair. At her memorial service I served this cake and everyone was amazed at how delicious it was. Even if you don't like prunes or walnuts, it is really good and is reminiscent of a spice or carrot cake.

I was so surprised and happy to stumble upon this recipe. My mother created this cake in honor of Luther Burbank when she was a docent at his home in Santa Rosa, California and as you mention won a blue ribbon at the county fair. At her memorial service I served this cake and everyone was amazed at how delicious it was. Even if you don't like prunes or walnuts, it is really good and is reminiscent of a spice or carrot cake.

WOW! How exciting to stumble upon this recipe; over 4 years after it was posted. The wonders of the internet!!:chef:

How fantastic, slhillery !! I don't bake very much, but the recipe looks so interesting, I just may give it a go. I actually like prunes and walnuts, and the addition of mashed potatoes sounds really intriguing.

I hope you stick around Discuss Cooking.......you'll find it a really good place to hang your apron. Welcome. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom