REC--Orange Crunch Cake (tnt)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IcyMist

Sous Chef
I have made this cake and taken to the office and had one of our clients (never met him before) come up to me and tell me that it is the best cake he has ever had. The only thing that I honestly think needs tinkering with is the icing. I only used half of the canned icing and more cool whip, but I bet someone out there can come up with a better icing.

Orange Crunch Cake

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup orange juice
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
2 tablespoons grated orange zest
1 (16 ounce) can prepared vanilla frosting
1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
3 tablespoons grated orange zest
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9 inch pans. Combine the graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, walnuts and butter. Divide mixture evenly between the prepared pans. Set aside.

2. In a medium bowl, mix together the cake mix, water, orange juice and oil until blended. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the orange zest. Pour the mixture evenly over the crunch layer in the pans.

3. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack and cool completely before frosting. Frost (crunch side up) between layers, on top and sides. Arrange orange sections on top, then refrigerate.

4. To make the frosting: In a medium bowl, beat the vanilla frosting until light and fluffy, then mix in the whipped topping. Stir in the orange and lemon zest. Use frosting on completely cooled cake layers.

I wonder what this would be like on it for icing?? My sil puts it on her pound cakes.

1 med. can crushed pineapple
1 box instant vanilla pudding mix
1 (9 oz.) Cool Whip

There is only one way to find out Texasgirl :) Make it and let us know. To me the cake is a simple recipe, but have heard someone in office say that it is time consuming. Time consuming? I doubt the lady has seen a recipe by Emeril yet. :)

How about a simple mix of orange juice concentrate & sifted powdered sugar for glazing?

This cake really sounds yummy!

Thanks! I use it for chocolate cakes too.
Another quickie is to use lemonade concentrate/powd. sugar over a warm gingerbread.

I'll try this one out probably this weekend and I'll let you know the results. The only thing I plan on changing is taking out the walnuts and substituting pecans (walnut alergy).

It really does sound good and perfect for summer!

I think it would be yummy even with no nuts in the crust. Please remember to let me know how it is. :)

Icy, wow this looks great. I'm a citrus nut, so this is perfect...Think I'll give it a try this weekend ...Thanks for posting...Will let you know how it goes...

kadesma, licking her chops already:LOL:

Last edited:
What's funny is making the cake and having someone else cut it. You can see by the expression on their face that they are puzzled about how hard the cake is. Face doesn't lose that puzzled look until they see that it has a crust. :) :)

Back
Top Bottom