Reviving An Expired Box Mix??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Randy_

Senior Cook
I just did a survey of my pantry last week and found a couple of boxes of cake mix that were a little past the "date". (3 months) Called the maker and they mentioned the problem of old cake mix possibly not rising so I was going to toss them; but haven't yet.

I wonder if you could just add a fresh dose of baking powder and go on. I hate to waste food; but don't want to "invest" the oil and eggs and time if the mix cannot be revived.

Any thoughts??
confused.gif

It's most likely the baking powder that expires, but I don't know if just adding fresh baking powder will revive it. You need enough acid (milk or cream) to balance the baking powder, or you may end up with a slightly bitter cake.

At only 3 months beyond... I would give it a try, but, there's no guarantee.

1 tsp. should be enough.

I personally would not toss them. The reason being that several people were reported to die from expired pancake mix (which most people have). Bacteria can grow in these mixes and thats how people can get sick and die. You can google this all for proof. The reason they have expiration dates are for good reasons. :chef:

"I personally would not toss them. The reason being that several people were reported to die from expired pancake mix"
????
Did you mean to say that you WOULD toss them?

You might want to read this comment on "SNOPES" about the pancake deaths.

snopes.com: Pancake Mix and Allergic Reaction

Personally, I would not be afraid of an expired mix if were still sealed in its original package. OTOH. if it looked a little green, probably would be best to discard it.

I've got several boxes to deal with so I have the luxury of being able to experiment a little. Going to try the "cookie" idea first and if the batter seems to rise well, then I will make with the other boxes. If the cookies don't seem to rise very much, I will try adding a single tsp of BP to the mix to refresh it.

All of this will have to wait for several weeks until I finish my current diet program.

Thanks to everyone for all of their suggestions.:clap:

Back
Top Bottom