Rice crispy sculptures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
I have to make a tardis (Dr. Who for those of you that don't watch the show) cake for our oldest GD's birthday in about a month. I've been looking at various cakes and it seems either it's stacked cake or rice crispy sculpture. We have to travel 150 miles with it. If I use stacked cake, I'll have to dowel it, as I'm afraid it will vibrate apart.

Most of the cakes also use fondant and/or modeling chocolate for the outside layer, whether it's cake or rice crispies. I'd rather not have to go that route but I'm also afraid of the icing sliding down that much of a vertical cake if I go stacked cake for just a tardis. If I do the rice crispy route, I'll make a smaller tardis and use a layer cake for a base and probably try to create some type of vortex looking effect for the tardis to sit on at an angle. There was 1 cake that had a really pretty marble-looking vortex effect using various colors of luster dust.

I'm hoping that there's somebody that has worked with rice crispies and can tell me how far ahead I can make that, especially if I end up having to use fondant or modeling chocolate.

Also, if you have any ideas about frosting that is a bit more stable than the regular decorating icing using shortening, margarine (or butter), 10x sugar, etc. One of the videos I watched said something about "mock" buttercream but the recipe I found for that is basically the same as the one above, just with the addition of dry coffee creamer and I can't see how that would really make a difference. Anybody ever used it?

The Loki cake (round layers) I made last week traveled pretty well, except for 1 spot where the top outer edge shells kind of drooped down, along with a bit of an icing slump, which I was able to push back up fortunately. They were big shells and heavy as far as icing goes. But, that's why I'm worried about an icing slump on a tardis.

A tardis cake sounds like fun. I'm sorry I have no experience with stacked layers of cake or rice crispy sculpture.

Just a thought but since you have to have the cake travel could you make a "profile" cake instead of a stand up cake? You know like the tardis is laying on it's side. It might be easier. No other suggestions from me since I'm not a cake decorator to be able to advise you.

Wow, that's quite a project. I'm sorry, I can't help either. Maybe try sending a PM to LPBeier, since she was a professional cake decorator. Good luck, medtran.

Last edited:
Food Network has challenges where contestants build sculptures out of cake and rice krispie treats. Their website may give you a start. Can't recall the name.

Last edited:
Thanks guys,

Jabbur, I want a standing up tardis.

Kayelle, Whiskadoodle, Thanks guys for the links but I've already been Googling, that's how I knew most of them were either stacked cake or rice crispy sculptures with fondant or modeling chocolate outsides. The modeling chocolate would get hard enough that I could lay the pieces flat and travel with them, then finish putting together there but I REALLY wanted to avoid fondant or modeling chocolate since I haven't worked with fondant a whole lot (don't like taste or texture) and have never worked with modeling chocolate, though I don't imagine it's that much different than fondant. One of the sites I looked at the guy had made a model Tardis out of cardboard then used the pieces as templates to cut his cake and modeling chocolate pieces out, then just put them together like you would make a gingerbread house. Which, come to think of it, I could go that route, not gingerbread, but a sugar/shortbread type of cookie decorated with royal icing. Thanks guys for leading me to that (I think, now I have another option to mull over, LOL).

Dawgluver, I actually was looking some more yesterday and they have small Tardis "action figures" that twirl and make sounds. I may end up buying 1 of those, which will give her an extra B-day gift. They even make a bobble-head Tardis.

Thanks for the suggestion GG about LPBeier. I'll definitely do that if I don't buy the action figure Tardis, which I'll have to do within next couple of days if I decide to go that route.

Last edited:
I would take the ginger bread route as well using a shortbread or chocolate cookie - especially if you are comfortable doing this. Once assembled and dried, that would be more durable imo. You could fill it with candy or other treats or you could even fill it with petit fours layered with wax paper. make the roof removable - could be good fun. :)

I've made some unique cakes over the years. For holding its shape, and being structurally sound enough to travel, use a sponge cake recipe, or shortbread recipe, but cook it in a square cake pan. You can carve the Tardis shape with a simple electric knife. The frosting that will hold is fondant. You can change the color of the fondant by folding in paste food coloring. Keep some of the fondant set aside as white, to roll into thin strips to use as windows. Dark fondant squares would be used for to represent a dark interior, with the white fondant used to frame the window. The same would be used for the door. Use a little molten sugar to glue the fondant window frame and door frame in place. Yes, you will have to use dowels, or bamboo skewers to hold the cake layers together, maybe with a bit of the molten sugar to aid the process. You can do this. Just don't stack the cakes any more that 4 cakes tall.

You mentioned modeling chocolate. I haven't worked with it, but it does look like intriguing stuff to work with. I hope you have great success with your cake. You will need some way to keep it upright as you travel. Again, I hope it turns out wonderful for you.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Well, I decided to buy the flying, spinning Tardis (3-3/4 inch, action figure sizish) and make a mad hatter type cake. I made one of those for the oldest GDs B-day several years ago and we iced it with neon pink, green, purple, blue, and then decorated with fondant cut-outs of different types of animal fur prints. I'm going to ice it gray, brush silver luster dust on it, will probably use a wet application, and then try to dry brush swirls of pink, blue, purple luster dust to create a vortex looking effect, though may have to end up with a wet application with that as well, we'll see.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom