Rubbery Devil's Food Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chopstix

Head Chef
My first attempt to make this and the sides/edges turned rubbery. A cross section of the cake showed uneven air release because there were air tunnels leading up, sort of like termite tunnels. What could have caused this? I followed the recipe to the letter. The only thing I can think of is that that maybe I should have sifted the dry ingredients together 3 times. I only did it once per the recipe. Also, my baking powder is old. I bought it a year ago... could it be that it has lost its potency and caused the rubberiness?

Axel beat me to it--but from even the title it sounded like overmixing. And do go ahead and get a new BP for your baking. ;o)

Ok thanks Axel and Gretchen! I didn't think I overbeat it but who can argue against evidence? I'll be more light-handed next time! :-D

Chopstx, let us know how the next one comes out with less mixing. The whole key is not to develop the gluten in the flour: this will make the cake tough and rubbery. On the other hand when making bread you want good gluten development because you want that glutenous elasticness, if you know what I mean. I can't think of the right word

You can only overmix after you've added the flour in. Before that, during the 'creaming' stage of combining the sugar, butter, eggs, more beating makes a lighter fluffier cake.

axeldbljumps said:
Chopstx, let us know how the next one comes out with less mixing. The whole key is not to develop the gluten in the flour: this will make the cake tough and rubbery. On the other hand when making bread you want good gluten development because you want that glutenous elasticness, if you know what I mean. I can't think of the right word

Thanks Axel. Am familiar with avoiding developing the gluten in cakes vs bread. I just didn't think I overbeat it... but will be more careful next time.

marmalady said:
You can only overmix after you've added the flour in. Before that, during the 'creaming' stage of combining the sugar, butter, eggs, more beating makes a lighter fluffier cake.

That's very useful to know Marm! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom