STRAWBERRY SAINT ANTHONY COURTING CAKE ...
This cake was first made by young women on June 15th, in honor of The Patron Saint, Anthony, so that single gals could meet their future financés.
So, as legend has it, here is The Courting Cake Recipe, which is also made in Northern England, by young women for their fiancés. The U.K. version, is usually layered with strawberries and whipped cream and rhubard compote for extra moistness.
Recipe: 10 Servings.
2 sticks unsalted butter room temperature
1 cup sugar
3 tblsps vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
4 tsps baking powder
2 tsps nutmeg
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups chilled whipping cream
Strawberry And Rhubard Compote 3 1/2 Cups: see recipe below
Powdered Sugar and 1 Pint fresh strawberries washed and stemmed
1. preheat over to 350 farenheit
2. butter two 9" diameter cake pans with 1 1/2 inch sides
3. line bottoms with parchment
4. using electric mixer: mix butter unti light and add 1 cup plus 2 tblsps sugar and beat until fluffy
5. mix in eggs one at a time and 2 tsps vanilla extract and the, sift flour, baking powder and 1 tsp nutmeg and the salt in medium to large bowl
6. fold in the butter mixture and gently add the milk
7. divide batter between prepared pans
8. bake the cakes until firm about 30 - 33 mins.
9. cool cakes in pans on racks for 15 mins.
10. turn out cakes onto racks and cool completely
11. split each cake into two layers, using serrated knife
12. combine cream, 6 tblsps sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract and 1 tsp nutmeg in a bowl
13. beat to stiff peaks
14. place 1 cake layer, cut side up on serving cake platter
15. spread with 3/4 cups compote ( see recipe below )
16. Then, add 1 cup cream and repeat layering with two more cake layers compote and cream
17. top with last cake layer cut side down
18. cover cake and chill 2 hours
dust with powdered sugar ( in Gravy Queen´s garden !
) and arrange the berries atop cake and serve with some extra compote over each slice ... and a wonderful espresso, cappucchino, coffee or tea of choice ...
Strawberry Rhubard Compote ...
4 cups 1/2 inch thick rhubard slices ( 1 pound )
1/2 cup sugar
2 tblsps water
16 ounces fresh red aromatic strawberries
1/2 tsp vanilla extract6
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1. combine rhubard, sugar and water in a heavy medium sauce pan and bring just to boil.
2. reduce heat, cover and simmer just until the rhubard is tender about 5 to 6 mins.
3. remove from heat and mix in berries, extract of vanilla with nutmeg ... Chill until cold about 3 hours.