Scaled down Amish friendship bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
I really like the simplicity of Amish Friendship bread but the volume is overwhelming. I live alone, and my office will only eat so much, etc. Can I reduce the size of the ingredients proportionately or is the mass necessary to the fermenting process?

Specifically, I would like to make enough batter so that I can make one batch of bread and have enough left for the starter.

I'm sure you can, but since I have never had the bread or have seen the recipe, I canno tell for sure. YOu wan't to put the recipe that you will use here?

I meant to say Do you want

Charlie, in my book you never have to try to explain what you meant to say. Just the fact that you make an effort to speak and write English is enough for me. I know what you are trying to say or spell. And I am sure every member does also. But thank you for caring and trying. A lot of folks who were born to the language, don't do half as well as you do. :angel:

I have not made this. It is like a sourdough bread. It looks like you feed the yeast mixture for some days.

You could bake one or several loaves to share. If anyone asks, you can have some starter to share also. If not, save the remainder starter to make at a future time.

According to one source I looked at, you can freeze the cup or so of starter until you are ready to use it again, there fore you need not keep feeding it all the time to keep it active. I have previously heard you can freeze sour dough starter successfully. I don't know what is the difference, if any, between sourdough and Amish Friendship bread. I like the name.

Thanks! Freezing sounds like a good idea...if I just had room in my freezer :( - see my other post for the reason :( I think I will buy a small dorm size fridge/freezer to live out of. I would guess that less than 1% of households in China have a real oven, so giving the dough away is not useful.

Back
Top Bottom