Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justplainbill

Executive Chef
Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte:
1 Jar pitted sour cherries (680 g) We like Hainich brand
½ Cup+ Kircshwasser (150 ml) (100 Proof Hiram Walker brand is ok)
3 Chocolate cake layers – 9” (23 cm) X 1.5” (3.5 – 4 cm)
2 Cups Heavy or whipping cream (475 ml)
½ Cup fine sugar (120 ml)
3 ounces of semi sweet chocolate (90 g)
Moisten each layer of the cake with a 50 – 50 mixture of kirschwasser and the liquid from the jarred cherries
Beat heavy cream with sugar and a few teaspoons of kirschwasser or vanilla extract to form stiff peaks
Spread ¼ of the whipped cream onto the top of the bottom 2 cake layers
Top each of the two lower layers with just under half of the drained jarred cherries
Frost the sides of the stacked layers with the remaining whipped cream
Sprinkle grated semisweet chocolate on the sides and top of the stacked layers
Garnish top of cake with dollops of whipped cream and reserved cherries

The batter for the chocolate cake layers can be made from-
2 cups cake flour
1 ¼ cup sugar
A generous ¾ cup cocoa (we like Penzy’s 24% butterfat ‘natural’ cocoa)
1 ¼ cup full milk
¾ cup shortening
3 eggs
1 ¼ teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon double acting powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Combine the dry ingredients and the shortening
Then add eggs and beat together with the remaining above ingredients at low to medium speed for 5 to 10 minutes.
Divide batter between three 9” diameter baking pans and bake in a preheated 350F (175+C) oven for about 30 minutes.
Cool pans on racks for 10 minutes.
Remove cake layers from pans and let cool completely on wire racks.

european style tortes are my all-time favorite decadent dessert! i've never tasted the kirschtorte, but i'm in love with it already. thanks for the scrumptious recipe, jpb. i do hope someone will make this marvelous torte for me, though, i'm not much of a bakerette-torte-maker, myself....

Recipe above will serve 6 gluttons or 12 dainty eaters. The cake is somewhat like a rich 1950's devil dog. For the two of us, the MRS just halves one round and makes a semi circular 2 layer cake with 1/2 the schnapps, a full jar of cherries, and whips 1 cup of heavy cream. Since I generally consume 2/3 of the two layer semicircle, I guess that qualifies me as a super glutton.

only a super-glutton like one of us could have put together a rich, whipped cream, chocolate-cherry torte such as this in the first place, jpb!:) is the black forest cake in some way related to the kirschtorte a virgin version perhaps?

Last edited:
only a super-glutton like one of us could have put together a rich, whipped cream, chocolate-cherry torte such as this in the first place, jpb!:) is the black forest cake in some way related to the kirschtorte a virgin version perhaps?
Schwarzwälder = Black Forester
The Black Forest (Schwarzwald) is in Baden-Württemberg, in the southwest of Germany, and borders on France to the west and Switzerland to the south.

Back
Top Bottom