"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 02-24-2007, 11:01 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by boufa06
The hollow central tube lets heat get into the center of the cake allowing for more uniform baking. Such a pan is used for baking angel food cake, pound, and sponge cakes. For easy removal of the cake from the pan, it is best to go for non-stick with a loose bottom.
Thanks!

Aside from angel food, the only other cakes I can remember using such a shape were fruitcakes (yes, now you've met possibly the only person in the world who actually likes fruitcakes), and would like to try my hand at one - this is why the question about things which must be baked in such pans - is there an upper limit on the size of pan loaf for these, anything larger must/should employ a tube or bundt pan.
And, while I'm here - the angel food ones, in my limited experience, use deeper pans with a small tapered hole, and the fruitcakes use much shallower pans with a larger and straight-walled hole.
Does it matter which shape is used for which batter?
Does the shape of of one style have, properly, a different name than the other, and, if so, which is which?

Thanks again

Old 02-25-2007, 09:51 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushy
Thanks!

Aside from angel food, the only other cakes I can remember using such a shape were fruitcakes (yes, now you've met possibly the only person in the world who actually likes fruitcakes), and would like to try my hand at one - this is why the question about things which must be baked in such pans - is there an upper limit on the size of pan loaf for these, anything larger must/should employ a tube or bundt pan.
And, while I'm here - the angel food ones, in my limited experience, use deeper pans with a small tapered hole, and the fruitcakes use much shallower pans with a larger and straight-walled hole.
Does it matter which shape is used for which batter?
Does the shape of of one style have, properly, a different name than the other, and, if so, which is which?

Thanks again
Bushy, you are not the only one who likes fruitcake!! I usually bake my fruitcake in a 23-cm loose bottom round cake pan or smaller loaf pans. The shallower pan with a larger and straight-walled hole is referred to as ring pan. Angel, sponge and pound cakes are best baked in a bundt or tube pan. However, if you do not have the exact type/size of pan as per recipe, it is reasonable to use a pan of similar size/shape. Of course a little bit of judgement would go a long way in this matter. To help you choose the proper size/shape of pan according to the amount of cake mixture, you can go here.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:13 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

boufa -

Thanks for the tip - the ring/bundt distinction explains why I couldn't find many rings on ebay when searching for bundts!

Tags
None