Sifting vs whisking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
Question.

Do you sift your dry ingredients or do you go the new way of just whisking your dry ingredients together.

I still sift. I have a very old sifter that you crank the handle. It was given to me more than 50 years ago by a friend. She had two and gave one to me. Every time I use it I think of her. :angel:

I basically only sift if the recipe specifies it. Most of the time I don't whisk either - I just loosen up the flour with a fork or spoon. The only ingredient I sift or whisk often even if it's not specified, is cocoa powder, since it's loaded with lumps.

Last edited:
The only thing I sift is powdered sugar. I have one of those Tupperware sifters and I store some powdered sugar in it for those times when a sprinkle of the stuff is all you want. Everything else just gets whisked together either with a hand whisk or the beaters on low.
th

What you do really should depend on what the recipe says.

If a recipe calls for a cup of sifted flour, you really should sift then measure to get the right amount. If the recipe directs you to sift a cup of flour, you can probably get away with whisking.

I think the reason I still sift if due to the sifter itself.As I said it was given to me by an old friend. She was killed by a drunk driver. We had a lot of laughs together. I know she was using her grandmother's and I didn't have one. She had already owned the one she gave me for eons. I was using a hand held strainer. At that time sifting was part of every baking recipe that had flour. I feel that if I stop using the sifter, I am betraying her and trying to forget her. And besides, I find the cakes do come out lighter if I use the sifter. It has a double screen. It only takes seconds, and it brings back happy memories. So I will continue to use it and sift away. :angel:

I usually do as I am told - if it says sift (especially flour/icing sugar) I do it. I am am being very lazy I whisk...or even more lazy and using the food processor I just let it do the work!

I only sift when it says I have to. I really can't remember the last time I sifted anything.

Back
Top Bottom