Silly question about substitutions for cheesecake recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runninduo

Senior Cook
Hi........

Please don't ban me for asking such a silly question.......hee hee

I've been wanting to make cheesecake for a while (have made it before) but have been wanting to try a new recipe. I picked up a Woman's Day Magazine which had a picture of a Chocolate Pumpking Cheesecake. I have all the ingredients I need.......

The only thing is that the recipe calls for low-fat cream cheese and sour cream. I only have the full fat versions. Do you think I'd need to adapt the recipe in anyway to account for using the higher fat products. The recipe seems standard as compared to other's i've seen....... Only thing is that this recipe calls for cornstarch, which I haven't seen before.

If you've read this far, thanks for indulging me and my silly question.

It should not matter in the slightest. Pumpkin cheesecakes are great with chocolate graham crusts or gingersnap crusts. Happy baking!

I didn't think so.

This actually has 3 layers........semi-sweet chocolate, pumpkin and milk chocolate. I may do plain, pumpkin and semi-sweet.

I have an itch to make this, but no where to bring it. It'll be too much to have sitting around.......unless I make minis and then freeze them.

Dang.......the baking bug is really overpowering!

You talked in a different thread about baking for your mom's group. You could make in for that - little cupcake ones for Halloween maybe?

Yeah, I thought of that. We're meeting today (instead of our usual Wed meeting) b/c one of the families is gonna be out of town for the next two wednesdays. We're a small group.....3 sometimes 4 kids. I can always send it to work with my husband!

runninduo said:
Hi........

Please don't ban me for asking such a silly question.......hee hee

I've been wanting to make cheesecake for a while (have made it before) but have been wanting to try a new recipe. I picked up a Woman's Day Magazine which had a picture of a Chocolate Pumpking Cheesecake. I have all the ingredients I need.......

The only thing is that the recipe calls for low-fat cream cheese and sour cream. I only have the full fat versions. Do you think I'd need to adapt the recipe in anyway to account for using the higher fat products. The recipe seems standard as compared to other's i've seen....... Only thing is that this recipe calls for cornstarch, which I haven't seen before.

If you've read this far, thanks for indulging me and my silly question.

low-fat cream cheese + sour cream = regular cream cheese + yogurt

Let me get this straight. Are you saying that you have never seen cornstarch in your life and can't find it at your grocery store?

aruzinsky, I think she meant that she has not seen cornstarch in a cheesecake recipe before.

Thanks all!

I have seen cornstarch (even used it yesterday when I made my cobbler for playgroup today).

I just don't ever remember seeing it in the cheesecake recipe. Though, I've only made cheese cake a few times so i could be having a brain fart on the subject.

Thanks, Alix for clarifying on my behalf!

runninduo said:
Thanks all!

I have seen cornstarch (even used it yesterday when I made my cobbler for playgroup today).

I just don't ever remember seeing it in the cheesecake recipe. Though, I've only made cheese cake a few times so i could be having a brain fart on the subject.

Thanks, Alix for clarifying on my behalf!

Have you ever seen potato starch? I like to use that.

Years ago, I made Italian cheesecake based on ricotta cheese. If interested, I will try to dig it up for you.

runninduo said:
Hi........

The only thing is that the recipe calls for low-fat cream cheese and sour cream. I only have the full fat versions. Do you think I'd need to adapt the recipe in anyway to account for using the higher fat products.
4Colouredlights.gif
4Colouredlights.gif
4Colouredlights.gif
4Colouredlights.gif
4Colouredlights.gif

I have posted a recipe for a New York Cheesecake. The original recipe is full fat, full indulgence.
However, because of health reasons I made it using low fat cheeses and sour cream.
So, if it worked by converting to low fat, Yours should even better going from low to full fat.

4Colouredlights.gif
4Colouredlights.gif
4Colouredlights.gif
4Colouredlights.gif
4Colouredlights.gif

I have been subbing low fat for almost every cheesecake I've made in the last 5 years, and cannot tell the difference. I have been told by others that you should always try the recipe as written first, then fiddle w/it. but if you're worried about going from lowfat to reg. stuff, there won't be any change in anything but overall richness , and I'd just do it.

southerncook said:
you can't choose your family, but you can choose your friends

You are right,
You CAN choose your cheesecakes, and, you CAN choose the fat that goes into them''

Wayne.......LOL at the ability to choose of fat content in your cheesecake.

And, I wish I could pick my relatives...........my inlaws that is. All I can say is OY!

runninduo said:
And, I wish I could pick my relatives...........my inlaws that is. All I can say is OY!

Hey, my inlaws are up for grabs, you can pick them if you like!!

runninduo said:
Wayne.......LOL at the ability to choose of fat content in your cheesecake.

I'll keep my in-laws but you can have my aunt, sister, cousins, and parents :D

Wayne.......

Unfortunately, if you offer up your inlaws to me, that means you'd have to take mine. And, quite honestly, I'm too nice of a person to wish that on anybody. lol.

Your offer is particularly tempting (especially if we were to swap inalws) because you're in Australia and I'm in California. Right now my inlaws are 11 miles away and give us grief if we don't see them at least 2x a week. And, of course, they never come over here, we have to go there.

Don't get me started. The want to babysit for my three year old.....but only at their house.........i asked them to watch Jeremy for 1.5 hrs while I go to an open house at his school (my DH has been working nights)......and they hedged and still haven't give me an answer. There's a lot of traffic between our houses (LA traffic is horrendous) and to drive him there in the evening rush hour and then get back to the school......would be about 1 1/4 hours.......to go 11 miles each way. Then the same thing in the morning to pick him up to get him to school. It's crazy. Their daughter lives near me and my MIL will go to the end of the earth for her and her DH, but not me and mine.

OK..........how did a post about cheesecake lead to a vent about my ILs. LOL.

Anyway............I could delete it and spare everyone.......but it felt good to write it, so I'll leave it!

Plus.......my son has been waking up at 5:15am for the past 2 weeks. So, it's 6:50am here, and I've been up for over an hour and a half. I think I'm gonna come back and sleep after I drop him off at school!

runninduo Know how you feel, exactly. Get it off your chest. We have 5 boys. When they were young we hardly had a night out together, it was almost impossible to get them minded.

My parents had passed on so it was only the inlaws available, or should I say, unavailable. Maybe it was because they couldn't stop us getting married so they took it out on the kids.

Now we are the minders of our kid's kids.

I would not miss out on this experience for all the cheesecake in New York..

We mind one lttle granddaughter 5 days a week and the others when necessary. Boy it keeps us young, and tired, but well worth it.

See, they reckon cooking is the best therapy around!

Thanks, Wayne.

What annoys me so much is that my MIL goes to the end of the earth for her daughter, but does squat for my husband. It's always been that way, and my husband is a typical middle child sandwiched b/t two difficult siblings. In almost 3 years (my son will be 3 in Nov), my ILs have never watched Jeremy at our house. Never once. They never offer to help out when my husband works nights (he works 6 weeks of days, followed by 6 weeks of nights). Before my son was in school, I could logistically drop him off in the evening and pick him up in the morning, but it's crazy to drive an hour + round trip to get him to go to school. And, you'd think, "Well, they can drive Jeremy back to your house in the morning", but we don't let them drive with Jeremy. Mostly because they can barely master strapping Jeremy into a stroller, let alone the carseat. My FIL has been trying for 2 years (at least once a week for 2 years) to put Jeremy in the carseat and he can't do it.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH............let the crazyiness continue!

OK......gotta get my bugaboo to school

Have a g'day!

WayneT said:
southerncook said:

You are right, ...
'

Wrong. You cannot choose your friends; you can only choose to whom you are a friend. For example, I can choose to be a friend to southerncook and/or WayneT, but I cannot choose to make them my friends.

aruzinsky said:
WayneT said:
southerncook said:

You are right, ...
'

Wrong. You cannot choose your friends; you can only choose to whom you are a friend. For example, I can choose to be a friend to southerncook and/or WayneT, but I cannot choose to make them my friends.
Damn, now I have to find a new quote and a new pic....my son says it looks like I live in a bar, actually I live in a male oriented zoo....

Back
Top Bottom