"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 09-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
Master Chef

Small Batch of Pancakes

My wife loves my pancakes. But I'm not supposed to eat the as I'm diabetic. So I always end up with leftover pancakes, which often sit in the fridge until they are no good (she doesn't eat leftovers very well). I was talking to my youngest daughter who had a similar dilemma. Often, do to her and her husband's work schedule, she has leftover pancakes after making a single batch. She came up with an great answer, which I've improved upon a little. For my recipe, I always mix the dry ingredients together first, and then add the wet ingredients. My daughter figured out that she can premix the wet and dry ingredients separately, then use as much dry as needed for the occasion, and as much liquid as is needed. The rest can be stored separately in the fridge and pantry. That way, you only make as much batter as you need. The wet and dry are already together in the proper ratios.

The improvement I made was to mix the oil and egg together first, like I was making mayonaise. The egg emulsifies the oil so that it mixes easily and smoothly with the milk. It stays in a homogeneous mixture until you need it.

Here's how you mix it four four batches of premix:

Dry Ingredients:
4 cups flour
8 tbs. sugar
2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup baking powder

Wet Ingredients:
1/2 cup cooking oil
4 extra large eggs
3 cups milk

For a single batch, simply remove 1 cup dry ingredients and place in a bowl. Then add 1 cup of the wet ingredients. MIx, cook, and eat.

I tried it tonight just to make sure the quality was still there. It was. And there were no leftovers.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:16 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

GW, there must be something I'm missing. Why don't you just make half a batch of the mix?

Old 09-03-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
Half Baked

My wife freezes leftover pancakes after wrapping them in cling wrap.The kids love em!

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:04 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
GW, there must be something I'm missing. Why don't you just make half a batch of the mix?
I agree. I just scaled my pancake recipe down and have no leftovers.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:04 AM   #5
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
My wife freezes leftover pancakes after wrapping them in cling wrap.The kids love em!
That is what I do too. I make a big batch on the weekend, freeze them, the reheat in the toaster oven during the week for my breakfast.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
Executive Chef

I sometimes intentionally make more than I plan to have for breakfast, and just as DaveSoMD says, either I freeze them for later in the week for reheating in the toaster, or I'll use a couple for lunch and fix an open face peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
HOw do you scale back 1 egg? I guess I could try scalling it back by using a small egg. That might work.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 09-04-2010, 11:10 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
HOw do you scale back 1 egg? I guess I could try scalling it back by using a small egg. That might work.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Beat the egg in a dish and use half the amount.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Beat the egg in a dish and use half the amount.
Isn't that what I did, only with the addition of milk and oil. The emulsified mix with the oil beaten in is easy to mix with the milk and is very liquid and homogeneous. It literally pours like milk. Beaten egg tends to clump and is harder to pour.

I just store the remaining liquid mixture in a container in the fridge. Plus this way, I only have to measure once, when I'm making the pre-mix. Subsequent batches are very fast to make fresh.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Old 09-04-2010, 01:01 PM   #10
Cupcake

Wait....the recipe above has four eggs....should it only be one?

Tags
eggs, flour, milk, oil, recipe

Small Batch of Pancakes My wife loves my pancakes. But I'm not supposed to eat the as I'm diabetic. So I always end up with leftover pancakes, which often sit in the fridge until they are no good (she doesn't eat leftovers very well). I was talking to my youngest daughter who had a similar dilemma. Often, do to her and her husband's work schedule, she has leftover pancakes after making a single batch. She came up with an great answer, which I've improved upon a little. For my recipe, I always mix the dry ingredients together first, and then add the wet ingredients. My daughter figured out that she can premix the wet and dry ingredients separately, then use as much dry as needed for the occasion, and as much liquid as is needed. The rest can be stored separately in the fridge and pantry. That way, you only make as much batter as you need. The wet and dry are already together in the proper ratios. The improvement I made was to mix the oil and egg together first, like I was making mayonaise. The egg emulsifies the oil so that it mixes easily and smoothly with the milk. It stays in a homogeneous mixture until you need it. Here's how you mix it four four batches of premix: Dry Ingredients: 4 cups flour 8 tbs. sugar 2 tsp. salt 1/2 cup baking powder Wet Ingredients: 1/2 cup cooking oil 4 extra large eggs 3 cups milk For a single batch, simply remove 1 cup dry ingredients and place in a bowl. Then add 1 cup of the wet ingredients. MIx, cook, and eat. I tried it tonight just to make sure the quality was still there. It was. And there were no leftovers.:mrgreen: Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North 3 stars 1 reviews