Small Batch of Pancakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
My wife loves my pancakes. But I'm not supposed to eat the as I'm diabetic. So I always end up with leftover pancakes, which often sit in the fridge until they are no good (she doesn't eat leftovers very well). I was talking to my youngest daughter who had a similar dilemma. Often, do to her and her husband's work schedule, she has leftover pancakes after making a single batch. She came up with an great answer, which I've improved upon a little. For my recipe, I always mix the dry ingredients together first, and then add the wet ingredients. My daughter figured out that she can premix the wet and dry ingredients separately, then use as much dry as needed for the occasion, and as much liquid as is needed. The rest can be stored separately in the fridge and pantry. That way, you only make as much batter as you need. The wet and dry are already together in the proper ratios.

The improvement I made was to mix the oil and egg together first, like I was making mayonaise. The egg emulsifies the oil so that it mixes easily and smoothly with the milk. It stays in a homogeneous mixture until you need it.

Here's how you mix it four four batches of premix:

Dry Ingredients:
4 cups flour
8 tbs. sugar
2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup baking powder

Wet Ingredients:
1/2 cup cooking oil
4 extra large eggs
3 cups milk

For a single batch, simply remove 1 cup dry ingredients and place in a bowl. Then add 1 cup of the wet ingredients. MIx, cook, and eat.

I tried it tonight just to make sure the quality was still there. It was. And there were no leftovers.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

GW, there must be something I'm missing. Why don't you just make half a batch of the mix?

My wife freezes leftover pancakes after wrapping them in cling wrap.The kids love em!

That is what I do too. I make a big batch on the weekend, freeze them, the reheat in the toaster oven during the week for my breakfast.

I sometimes intentionally make more than I plan to have for breakfast, and just as DaveSoMD says, either I freeze them for later in the week for reheating in the toaster, or I'll use a couple for lunch and fix an open face peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Beat the egg in a dish and use half the amount.

Isn't that what I did, only with the addition of milk and oil. The emulsified mix with the oil beaten in is easy to mix with the milk and is very liquid and homogeneous. It literally pours like milk. Beaten egg tends to clump and is harder to pour.

I just store the remaining liquid mixture in a container in the fridge. Plus this way, I only have to measure once, when I'm making the pre-mix. Subsequent batches are very fast to make fresh.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

HOw do you scale back 1 egg?:) I guess I could try scalling it back by using a small egg. That might work.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
I live alone, so I have to scale down every recipe I make. For that reason, I keep packaged egg product on hand.

We use left over waffles or pancakes for PB&J sammies.

Weed, you can now buy sugar-free syrup, and if you make the pancakes with whole wheat flour, I don't see why you couldn't indulge now in them now and then. I have diabetes now, too, and I can actually eat the Bisquick ones with sugar-free syrup, and they don't seem to raise my glucose level to an unsafe level.

Isn't that what I did, only with the addition of milk and oil. The emulsified mix with the oil beaten in is easy to mix with the milk and is very liquid and homogeneous. It literally pours like milk. Beaten egg tends to clump and is harder to pour.

I just store the remaining liquid mixture in a container in the fridge. Plus this way, I only have to measure once, when I'm making the pre-mix. Subsequent batches are very fast to make fresh.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

In a sense, that IS what you did. However, your method gives you four batches of mix to use up and your original problem was that one batch was an issue.

In my home, that would be an issue as we don't eat pancakes all that often. If you can consume four batches worth of pancake mix before it goes bad, then your method is also fine.

In a sense, that IS what you did. However, your method gives you four batches of mix to use up and your original problem was that one batch was an issue.

In my home, that would be an issue as we don't eat pancakes all that often. If you can consume four batches worth of pancake mix before it goes bad, then your method is also fine.

I see your point. However, I scaled it up for a large group. I only make a single batch for my wife. I made a batch last night and used half of it to make four blueberry pancakes. This morning, guess what she wanted for breakfast? It only took me about three minutes to make the batter, and another 5 to 6 minutes to cook them up. Pancakes in less than ten minutes. That's gotta be a record for pancakes from scratch.:)

And Connie, I do make whole wheat pancakes for myself, using the same recipe, but replacing the sugar with Splenda, and using sugar-free Log Cabin Syrup. I really like them. But DW loves the originals with all purpose white flour. She's not diabetic, and eats too many sweets in my opinion. Yet, her blood sugar stays perfect. It's just not fair I tell you! :)

Last edited:
I made GW's pancakes this morning. They turned out great!!! Tender and fluffy. I needed pancakes for 10 so I mixed the batch up using the recipe in this thread and used a 4 oz ladle to control size. I ended up with 6" diameter cakes 1/2" tall.

GREAT JOB GW. I've clipped this one into MacGourment.

I am aforementioned youngest daughter...

...and the original problem surfaced when I wanted chocolate chips in my pancake, but wasn't sure if my husband would when he got off work, so this was my solution. :) Well, except for the emulsification that my dad added. For the record, I wholeheartedly agree with the pb&j comments. I had just already eaten a bit too much junk in the previous days & didn't feel like having leftover pancakes from 2 batches (one for me & one later for my husband) would be the smartest choice for me, especially since he rarely eats leftovers.

I just have to chime in and say I have been making Goodweeds pancakes for 3 or 4 years now and my wife is hooked on them, my inlaws, members of my wife's sorority and everyone else that spends the weekend at my house loves them.
I add a touch of vanilla to them, I just like the way it taste. I also cut the recipe in half all the time... I use a small egg and 100 ml of milk which is half of the 3/4 cup +1/8 cup. I have doubled and tripled the recipe when the size of the crowd called for it. Mixed it in my kitchen aid.

But DW loves the originals with all purpose white flour. She's not diabetic, and eats too many sweets in my opinion. Yet, her blood sugar stays perfect. It's just not fair I tell you! :)

Goodweed, a word to the wise. I always had exceptional blood sugar levels, very low no matter how much sugar I ate. My doctor warned me that that is sometimes a sign that diabetes is on it's way. It seems that the body exerts one herioic last ditch effort to control what is really overpowering it. The doc said it can take about ten years for this to happen. And in my case he was right. I did get diabetes. It took gastric bypass to get my diabetes taken care of. Now I no longer have diabetes but as I understand it I still need to be careful of my carbs.

Back
Top Bottom