Soft Chocolate Cupcakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PattY1

Washing Up
Soft Chocolate Cupcakes

4 dozen cupcakes

3 cups sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 Tablespoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups sour cream
1 cup strong coffee, cooled

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake pan with cupcake papers. Set aside.
Using a stand mixer fit with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating for 1 minute in between each addition. Scrape down bowl after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry mixture to the creamed butter and sugar alternately with the sour cream. Begin and end with the flour mixture. Beat to incorporate.

With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the cooled strong coffee to the batter. Add in a slow steady stream to prevent splashing. The batter will become fairly thing and smooth. Scrape down bowl and beat for 1 minute to ensure the batter is completely mixed.
Pour into cupcake papers and bake on middle rack for 15 minutes, or until a pick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.

Remove from oven and set on wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and let cool to room temperature on wire racks.

Chocolate Butter Cream Frosting
1 1/2 cup (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
4 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
2/3 cup Ovaltine

Cream together butter, cocoa powder and salt. Butter mixture will be very thick. Turn off the mixer, scrape down the sides of the bowl and add powdered sugar. Turn mixer on low and mix in powdered sugar while adding milk and vanilla extract. As the sugar incorporates, raise the speed of the mixer to beat the frosting. Beat until smooth. In a 2 cup measuring glass, stir together heavy cream and Ovaltine. Turn mixer speed to medium and pour cream mixture into frosting in a slow, steady stream, until you've reached your desired consistency. You may not need the full amount of Ovaltine and cream.

The cupcake recipe sounds delicious. Especially the sour cream part.

Not to sure about my ol pal Ovaltine... lol.

I'm going to make this recipe, too. Probably with Alix's ganache (sp?) to top. Maybe not though.

Thanks for posting!

i made these cupcakes today. delicious. i greedily put away four of them before they were even fully cooled. the sour cream adds to the rich complexity of flavors of these smooth, finely textured little cakes. my grandkids are going to love them! :) (note: baking time will likely be 25-30 minutes)

Back
Top Bottom