Sour cream coffee cake problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abcs

Assistant Cook
I made this delicious sour cream coffee cake. It requires a bundt pan to be "greased" so I sprayed it with "pam" . Next a topping of brown sugar and cinnamon go into pan then batter, then brown sugar and cinnamon then batter. After cooking and cooling I inverted on a dish. The topping stuck to the pan!

What can I do differently so it won't stick and look so awful........It still tastes great......I just wouldn't serve it to anyone besides my family.

Help! I will share recipe................I just need to know the "trick" to make it look better!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Last edited:
If it stuck that bad I'd use butter, alot of it.
Was it a dark "non-stick" pan? Sugary toppings will still stick, at least for me. Or over cook.
I've found with my caramel rolls to use glass or a silver "regular stick" :) pan. Dark seems too cook the outside much too fast for me.

I have a similar recipe that calls for a bundt pan, and I just bake the coffee cake in a 9X13 cake pan. It still looks good, and tastes even better!

Thats another good thought.
I've discovered my Bundt pan is really pretty useless......

instead of using pam i use butter. like when making a pineapple upside down cake inmy cast iron skillet. and it comes out great. you might be waiting to long when youinvert it. I havent made that recipe but I am going to now to see what happens, I havealways wanted to make that recipe.

i layer it opposite of what you listed. i also grease and flour the bundt pan. Layer batter, filling, batter, filling. Also, if you have this problem again, set pan in hot water for a few minutes, this will help release the contents.

Thank you for your help

I was using a dark metal bundt pan.

I like the idea of using glass baking dish........but what would you suggest for the cooking time and temp? The original recipe calls for 350 for 1 hour.

So if I spray and put flour on it or just butter the pan I should be all set?

I was also wondering if it was my pan. It is not that thick. I have had it for years. Thought about getting a more heavy duty pan?

:glare:

Thanks again for all your suggestions. I will definately come back to this forum. You have been all very helpful!!!!

Last edited:
I use a flexipan bundt mold. You just take a plate and turn it over and its pops right out. Cleans with soap and water. I only use flexipan molds.

abcs, I think I have that same recipe, and I've had similar results as yours.

The only thing I can think of, is that the tip about using a pryex 13 x 9" pan might work. I don't think I floured my Bundt pan, either, so I may try that bit as well.

If you butter and flour your Bundt pan instead of spraying it with PAM, I think it will release. The topping ingredients are adhering to the oily pan. The flour on top of butter should cause the topping to release.

Stuck Coffee Cake fix

I made this delicious sour cream coffee cake. It requires a bundt pan to be "greased" so I sprayed it with "pam" . Next a topping of brown sugar and cinnamon go into pan then batter, then brown sugar and cinnamon then batter. After cooking and cooling I inverted on a dish. The topping stuck to the pan!

What can I do differently so it won't stick and look so awful........It still tastes great......I just wouldn't serve it to anyone besides my family.

Help! I will share recipe................I just need to know the "trick" to make it look better!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
I also make this delicious coffee cake and have had the same problem, but have since sprayed the pan a little more than usual and I use HyVee brand butter spray always!! Seems to work well. Or how much time do you allow it to cool? I usually invert it onto a plate after 10 minutes or so. One other solution may be to set it in hot water for a few minutes and then try to invert it. Good Luck! Let me know how your next one comes out! :)

Bunnytrax

Have you heard of Baker's Joy? ... Try to find some, it's magic stuff in a can. It really does work (but the nozzle tends to plug and frustrate). Try it!

If you want to use a bundt pan, i normally pour a little batter in first (that will be the top layer once unmolded), then put half the brown sugar mixture, then more batter, mixture and finish with batter. Batter should be on top and bottom to ensure no sticking (i still grease the pan). If using a 9x13, i'd put the batter in first and then top with the mixture.

Back
Top Bottom