Sour cream in cakes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
I've been searching some cake recipes and founds several that ask for sour cream and/or cream cheese. I'm wondering what sour cream does for cakes?

I'm not sure if there is chemistry involved, the lactic acids would certainly have an aerating effect with the raising agent - however they certainly lend something to the flavour, giving the cake a bit of a tang. I remember many years ago making a chocolate sour cream cake that was divine.

Would think it similar to using plain yogurt? I could see the benefits it would have in adding body and moisture to a cake recipe.

Thanks for your info you all. I ended up making a marbel cake with chocolate buttercream frosting and decided to add a couple tablespoons of sour cream to the mix. We loved it and it's all gone! I will use it forever in my cakes and muffins from now on.

Allen,
Would you post your recipe? We love all kinds of cakes here and coffee cake is one of our favorites.

I also have a Sour Cream Apple cake, that's one of Emeril's. Basically, it's like a pineapple-upside-down cake, but with apples, and a spice cake instead of a yellow cake.

Sour cream also tenderizes a cake. I'll use it or yogurt in place of buttermilk or milk. I've found that they're all interchangeable in cakes and quick breads.

Back
Top Bottom