Sour Cream Pumpkin Coffee Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
This is for PA Baker, hope you enjoy it as much as I do!:chef:

1/2C butter
3/4C sugar
1t vanilla
3 eggs
2C flour
1t baking powder
1t baking soda
1C sour cream
16 oz canned or fresh pumpkin
1 slightly beaten egg
1/3C sugar
1t pumpkin pie spice

Streusel Topping
Cut 1C packed brown sugar, 1/3C butter, 2T cinnamon until blended. Stir in 1C chopped nuts.

Method
Cream together butter, sugar and vanilla. Add 3 eggs, beating well. Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream. In separate bowl, combine pumpkin, slightly beaten egg, sugar and pumpkin pie spice.

Spoon half of batter into 13x9x2 baking dish, spreading to corners. Sprinkle half of streusel topping over batter. Spreak all pumpkin mixture over streusel. Carefull spread remaining batter over pumpkin mixture. Sprinkle remaining streusel topping over batter.

Bake 325 for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

I like your receipe for Sour Cream Pumpkin Coffee Cake and that is a keeper.

I hope you had a nice weekend and a very Happy Sunday.

VB, I've hijacked the recipe on the way to PA Baker. It looks good and I have some pumpkins to cook down. Thanks.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This looks like one of those recipes that I'll make and not share!:LOL: The best thing is that I have all the ingredients on hand!

Thank you Vera! I have a very similar recipe, without the pumpkin, that is delicious. The addition of the pumpkin can only make it better!

This one is going into my files.

Oh, VB, I shouldn't even admit this--I definitely get the Idiot Award this weekend! Actually, the lesson I should learn is to never try a new recipe the morning after my daughter keeps me up most of the night!:wacko: Anyway, I mixed the pumpkin mixture into the cake batter and shorted the darn thing an egg. Ack!:huh: :LOL: I'm chalking it up to an experiment. It's in the oven now and actually looks and smells quite good. Once I restock the pantry I'm going to try the real recipe!:rolleyes:

Remarkably, Sofie's napped through the entire episode. I think I'll charge DH with oven watching and go nap!

I'll let you know how my mess turns out!:)

You know, it's not bad at all!:) If I had to name what I ended up making, I'd call it Pumpkin Custard Squares. There's a thin layer of cake on the bottom and top with a very thick pumpkin-pie like layer in the middle. The streusel topping is delicious! They're very rich, and not a loss at all. We've already enjoyed several. :)

Wow! Your recipe sounds great and I just wondered to my husband if I should make a banana cake this next Thursday for a group of my non-American friends----but I'm making your recipe instead--unfortunately I don't have pumpkin spice but I do have cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and ginger. I'm sure that I can Google and concoct a fair approximation. Sour cream here is to die for, too.

PA Baker said:
You know, it's not bad at all!:) If I had to name what I ended up making, I'd call it Pumpkin Custard Squares. There's a thin layer of cake on the bottom and top with a very thick pumpkin-pie like layer in the middle. The streusel topping is delicious! They're very rich, and not a loss at all. We've already enjoyed several. :)

I believe that anything you made with the love of your heart and can be eaten without distress is no failure. I know all about naps, by the way:winkiss:

expatgirl said:
Wow! Your recipe sounds great and I just wondered to my husband if I should make a banana cake this next Thursday for a group of my non-American friends----but I'm making your recipe instead--unfortunately I don't have pumpkin spice but I do have cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and ginger. I'm sure that I can Google and concoct a fair approximation. Sour cream here is to die for, too.

I never buy pumpkin pie spice, either. I always keep the individual ingredients on hand. A basic rule of thumb is more cinnamon, equal ginger and nutmeg, and less cloves.

Hope you like it.

Dear Vera Blue.

I googled in "Sour Cream Pumpkin Streusel Cake" and this same recipe was googled everywhere but loose so it really must be GREAT!!!!!!! So thanks for bringing it to DC's attention --otherwise I never would have seen it-----I can't wait to make it. The conversion recipe that I found for the 1 teaspoon of pumpkin spice was: for each teaspoon of pumpkin spice use 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ginger, and 1/8 teaspoon of EACH nutmeg and cloves. Thanks so much Vera Blue for posting this recipe!!

Back
Top Bottom