Spongecake blues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattymoo

Assistant Cook
Hi, ive been trying to perfect my basic sponge recipe, ive now got a wierd colaboration from many sources that gets a good result ( i use half custard powder and half cornflour instead of plain flour and start of with a bisic merang and then add the yolks and dry ingredients) I find my cakes taste slightly salty even though i have added no salt. Does anyone know what causes this and how i could prevent it? i have a hunch my bicard soda is old if that helps.

Nothing about that recipe sounds basic or normal. What is custard powder?

jasonr said:
Nothing about that recipe sounds basic or normal. What is custard powder?

Custard powder is just that, powdered custard that you mix with liquid to make a custard (birds brand comes to mind if your from england).

As for your recipe mattymoo, since you havent added salt (and there is no salt in egg whites aka basic meringue, and no salt in corn flour that I know of, it must be your baking soda as you mentioned. Maybe try baking powder instead of baking soda.

I agree with Amber that it could be the baking soda. Too much soda leaves a very bad taste in the mouth. You might want to reduce the soda or replace it with baking powder (which has soda and tartar). If this doesn't work, omit the custard and replace it with cornflour.

Mattymoo, Have you found the Sponge Cake you want to make? Need a recipe and tips.?

i'd have to agree with jasonr. with the exception of the eggs, none of the ingredients are a part of a "basic" spongecake.

basic ingredients would be:
eggs
sugar
clarified butter
flour
vanilla
salt

i'd be really interested to seeing your recipe. take a good look at whatever you're using that comes out of a package. chances are that sodium something-or-other could be listed as well.

This one uses baking powder:
Featherweight sponge
4 eggs
¾ c caster sugar
¾ c cornflour[starch]
¼ c custard powder
1 ½ ts baking powder
Filling:
500 ml cream [35%fat]
2 ts icing sugar[confectioner's]
few drops of vanilla essence
Icing:
1 tb soft butter
200 g icing sugar
1 large passionfruit hot water
Cake: Separated sponge method. Two lined deep 23cm tins. 170°C 25 mins.
Filling: Whip and flavour the cream
Icing: Mix.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom