St Clements Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janey444

Assistant Cook
Hi folks. I'm hoping you might ba able to help I have been looking for a recipe for a St.Clements cake (The one with a lemon sponge with orange icing) I will probably be looking a using 2x 6 inch sponge tins and I am guessing the recipe is similar to victoria sponge but with lemon?

I haven't been able to find one anywhere does anybody have this recipe?

I found this.

Saint Clement's Cake
1/2 cup self-rising flour
4 tablespoons butter or margarine
4 eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons Lemon Curd

Sift flour into a bowl. Melt butter in a small pan. Set aside to cool. Whisk eggs and sugar until very pale and creamy. Fold in flour and melted butter. Pour into an 8-inch greased cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.

Turn out on a rack. Cool. Cut cake into three layers. Sandwich with Lemon Curd. Pour Icing over cake so that top and sides are coated (do not spread). Leave to set. Decorate top of cake with strips of orange and lemon candy slices.

Lemon Curd
1/2 pound butter or margarine
1/2 pound granulated sugar
4 eggs, slightly beaten
Juice of 2 or 3 lemons

Melt sugar and butter in a double boiler. When warm, stir in eggs and lemon juice. Continue to stir until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and store in a dry jar in the refrigerator.

Icing
1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Slices of orange and lemon
Crystallized candies

Sift confectioners' sugar. Mix with lemon juice and a little water to make icing stiff enough to coat back of spoon.

I'm wondering if Kyles may have this recipe, as it seems from my searches that St. Clements is more of a UK dessert.

I found this one. Oh and welcome to DC!!!! :)

September recipe: St Clement’s Cake

Date Added: Friday 27th August 2004

By our cookery writer Ann Way

Many of you may remember the old nursery rhyme ‘Oranges and Lemons rang the bells of St Clements’. Apart from a grasping St Martin demanding five farthings, I don’t remember the rest of it, but recently there was a cake competition which I decided to enter. The cake was based on citrus fruits so I called it St Clement’s cake. Alas, I didn’t win a prize but friends and family who sampled it thought it was delicious, so I thought readers might like to try it.

Ingredients
You will need three 7 or 8 inch sandwich tins, greased and lined.
2 large oranges
1 large lemon
6oz – 175g self-raising flour
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
6oz – 175g castor sugar
6oz – 175g icing sugar
12oz – 350g soft margarine
3 large free range eggs
Half a jar of good quality lemon curd
Cake decorations of orange and lemon slices
1 1/2 tablespoons of finely cut orange jelly marmalade

Method
Make up 2/3rds of the cake mixture using 2 of the eggs, 4oz of the sugar and 4oz of the soft margarine. Grate the zest of the oranges into this mixture. Then squeeze out the juice into a separate bowl and take one dessert spoon of the orange juice and stir into the sponge mixture. Beat until the mixture is creamy and is light in colour. It should drop lightly off the spoon with a little shake. If it is too sloppy add a little more sieved flour until it is the required consistency. Divide the mixture evenly between two of the cake tins. Make a slight indentation in the centre to allow it to rise evenly.

Next, proceed with the lemon cake by using the remaining margarine and sugar and flour and the finely grated rind of a lemon. Use one teaspoon of the juice and leave the rest for later. Fill the last tin with this mixture.

Cook the three cakes for approx 18 minutes in an oven at Gas Mark 3/ 375F/170C, slightly less for a fan oven.

The cakes are ready when a lightly pressing finger doesn’t leave a dent. Cool on wire racks. When cold, place one of the orange sponges on a cake dish or board and spread with the lemon curd. Place the lemon sponge on top and spread that with the orange marmalade. Cover with the final orange cake. Beat the icing sugar and the remaining orange and lemon juice together, adding the juice carefully until a good spreading consistency is achieved. Decorate the top with this and the orange and lemon slices. Enjoy it!

Back
Top Bottom