Strawberry Yogurt Pound Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
Strawberry Yogurt Pound Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 carton (6 oz.) non-fat strawberry yogurt
1/4 teaspoon almond extract

In medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt, if desired. Set aside.

In large mixing bowl at medium speed, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, yogurt and extract until well blended. Reduce mixer speed to low. Add reserved flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, beating just until blended.

Spread evenly in greased and floured 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan. Bake in preheated 325°F oven until cake tester inserted near center comes out clean, about 70 minutes. Cool on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely.

Serve topped with strawberries & yogurt.

I saw this one in one of my news letters the other day.

It sounds really good. Have you tried it yet mish?

Hey sounds delicious, but someone try it before I do!! :mrgreen: I am a bit dubious because sometimes the lowfat/fatfree products mess up the texture in baking... Let me know if it works out!!

True Confession

Ok, I had one of those days when everything I touched went wrong. I guess my head just wasn't in it today.

I saw mish's recipe and decided to make it. After picking up the yogurt today, I got everything together and started.

As far as I can see, I only made two mistakes. First, I combined the dry indredients as directed. Of course, I included the sugar in the dry ingredients ( I actually know better).:ohmy: Then when I realized my mistake, it became clear that I couldn't cream the butter and sugar together. :-p

So I creamed the butter and the eggs and them added the dry ingredients.

Oooops, almost forgot the yogurt! Added that in and poured the batter into the prepared loaf pan and popped it into the oven.

DARN! forgot the almond extract! ARRRGGHHH!

So I baked it and it acted like a pound cake should. It rose nicely and came out of the pan with a minimum of fuss.

It tasted quite good. I'll bet it will be even better with the almond extract!

Mish, thanks for the delicious recipe that was so good even after I tried to kill it.

I guess had better leave the baking to SO. She never screws it up like that.

PS: I don't think it would matter if you used full-fat, low-fat or non-fat yogurt. Also, other flavors could work just as well as strawberry.

I'm glad you've tested it without the almond essence cause i loathe the taste of it. I have full fat yoghurt in the fridge for the kids so i will give this a try tomorrow.

In a way it is good that you mixed it using "an alternate technique." Now we know that the recipe will work under a ariety of conditions.

purrfectlydevine said:
In a way it is good that you mixed it using "an alternate technique." Now we know that the recipe will work under a ariety of conditions.

Yeah but I think the texture might have been better if I did it right.

Andy, wanted to say you're welcome and so glad you liked the recipe. But, later you mentioned the texture was not good. I'm sorry to hear that. Perhaps I'm a little sensitive, but I feel badly, & sometimes I'm reluctant to share what I think others might enjoy. If I didn't like an ingredient, I wouldn't use it in a recipe. I would try a recipe that had ingredients I liked, or make substitutions. I posted a simple recipe (not long ago) with sweet ingredients, and the reply went something like - I wouldn't give my child this because I'm afraid they'd get a stomach ache.

yummo, making this today along with Constance's sugar cookies. going to our son's new house and he elected me to cook. the beef stew has been cooking all day, and when the baby wakes up, it's off to the store for cream of tartar, (is there a substitute for it?) and butter flavored Crisco, eggs, (she's only got two left )plus almond extract, that I am sure our daughter doesn't have in the kitchen. then my little love and I will return and get cracken on the rest of the meal. think I'll make my son do the garlic bread and salad, I'll muster, with pleasure, the rest.:chef:
Happy Sunday to you all!
Susie

PS, opted to take full advantage of the baby sleeping. Plus, heck, my daughter has neighbors, who had ingredients. Both are in the oven now. (But, I broke my girls' egg beaters) They both call for the same temp, so I got lucky there. Let me just say how incredible this house smells. Baby's gonna be in for a treat when he wakes up. It'll be a cookie. Gotta save the pound cake looking pretty till we get to our sons. fingers crossed, but by the smell, all should be wonderful.

mish said:
Andy, wanted to say you're welcome and so glad you liked the recipe. But, later you mentioned the texture was not good. I'm sorry to hear that. Perhaps I'm a little sensitive, but I feel badly, & sometimes I'm reluctant to share what I think others might enjoy. If I didn't like an ingredient, I wouldn't use it in a recipe. I would try a recipe that had ingredients I liked, or make substitutions. I posted a simple recipe (not long ago) with sweet ingredients, and the reply went something like - I wouldn't give my child this because I'm afraid they'd get a stomach ache.

To the person that gave you that comment:-p
kids are kids and I was careful about giving my kids junk too much, I didn't cut them off of things that I thought they would like. No offense intended, just my opinion.

Don't stop posting yummy stuff like this because one person doesn't like the sound of it, because for every one, there are probably about 15 + that would enjoy it very much!!

mish:

You shouldn't feel that way because of my comment. The point of my comment was that the texture suffered because I failed to follow the recipe. I should have creamed the butter and sugar together then mixed in the dry ingredients. I mistakenly included the sugar with the other dry ingredients!

You aren't responsible for my screw-ups.I'm going to make this again. SO and I both liked it a lot.

Thanks again,

this supposedly turned out very well. I haven't eaten a bite of it yet cause last night, I came down with the flu.:sick: My guests said it was wonderful and when I'm feeling better I'll try it too.

We have just cut our first one and it is soooooo good!!! Really light and moist at the same time. Thankyou so much for this recipe its sure to be a regular in this house!:chef:

Back
Top Bottom