Substituting different kinds of sugar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bentrinh

Assistant Cook
There's a rescipe calling for "Golden Caster sugar" and "Light Muscovado sugar". I heard you can get this easily in Europe, but I can't find it here in California. Can I just use regular brown sugar? Here's the rescipe:

Billington's - Classic Chocolate Cake

From what I've been able to find, you can substitute regular granulated sugar for the castor sugar and brown sugar for the muscovado sugar. Muscovado is supposedly a dark sugar, so I might substitute half light brown and half dark brown sugar.

Go to the Safeway (Vons) and pick up a two pound bag of C&H washed raw sugar. If you have a Smart & Final nearby, the Florida Crystals Natural cane sugar is the equivalent of caster sugar and the Demerara sugar is the equivalent of Moscavado, only from a different Caribbean island.

I could never understand why the least processed product, raw sugar, has a higher price tag than either refined white sugar, or, especially brown sugar, where they have to take the white sugar and put the original molasses BACK IN!

Last edited:
Castor tends to be a bit finer than the standard American white sugar. If you can find a fine white sugar you can sub that for the castor. Or, take your regular white granulated and give it a whirl in the food processor.

PA Baker said:
Castor tends to be a bit finer than the standard American white sugar. If you can find a fine white sugar you can sub that for the castor. Or, take your regular white granulated and give it a whirl in the food processor.

You're right, PA. I forgot to add that. Good call.

Well, light and dark brown sugar, confinationar's sugar, regular sugar, and mossalass...

PA Baker said:
Pa, you can buy what my dad called bar sugar..He use to use it for his tom and jerrys at Christmas..It's just a super fine white sugar.

kadesma

Muscovado is a light brown sugar. Are you able to buy golden granulated sugar? if so, as PA suggests just give it a quick blitz in the food processor.

You could also email Billingtons and ask them what they would suggest as a substitute? They must have others wishing to use their recipes. Good Luck.

bentrinh said:
I don't have a food processor :(. Besides I gotta bake it today at 2..

I'd love to know if you're pleased with the finished product:)

I have this thing:
HC3000.jpg

That should work right?

That will work and Light Muscovado sugar might be found in the Mexican section of your grocery store. It comes in cone shapes in bags.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom