Suggestions for terminology

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eiasu

Cook
Hallo,
i am publishing a Cooking book in english in Germany and i am not very firm with english,
i copy below one of the recipe,

can you check it and tell me if it is correct?
For example i am not sure if the expression "pre bake" is correct,
thank you!
eiasu:chef:

[FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]Blueberry cream cheesecake[/FONT]
[FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]fresh and fruity[/FONT]
Dough:

• [FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]250 g flour[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]125 g butter[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]80 g sugar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]1 egg[/FONT]
Cheese cream:

• [FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive][FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]½ [/FONT]kg cheese (curd cheese or ricotta)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]80 g vanilla custard powder[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]lemon peel of 1 lemon[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]lemon juice according to taste[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]3 eggs[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]¼ l sweet cream[/FONT]
Topping:

• [FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive][FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]½ k[/FONT]g frozen or fresh blueberries[/FONT]

Dough:
Cut the butter into small pieces, mix the ingredients and quickly knead them to a dough. Wrap it into a plastic foil and leave it for minimum 2 hours in the fridge.
Roll the dough and cover a cake tin bottom and edge with it, prebake it at 190° for about ten minutes and let the cake cool down.
Filling:
Divide the eggs and put the egg white separate. Whip the egg yellows with the sugar creamy, then add the cheese, the custard powder and the lemon peel and -juice.
Whip the egg whites until they are stiff and do the same with the sweet cream.
Carefully mix the two stiff masses with the cheese-mixture so that it becomes a fluffy cream. Fill it into the pre bake a dough and bake it in the oven at the same temperature for about 60 minutes. Let it cool down (actually it tastes best if you do the steps up to here already one day before so that the cheesecake can really settle).
Topping:
Whip the cream very stiff and carefully mix in the blueberries. Decorate according to your taste.
Variations:
Try only the cheesecake without topping and add to the filling either rum raisins or tangerine pieces (out of a can or fresh).
Vary the topping as you like, also cherries taste very good or gooseberries, be inventive!

Attachments

• blueberry cheesecake.jpg
    blueberry cheesecake.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 203
curd cheese: cottage cheese?
vanilla custard powder: vanilla pudding mix?

Hallo,
For example i am not sure if the expression "pre bake" is correct,
thank you!
eiasu:chef:

Eiasu, I am sending you a PM with some suggestions.

curd cheese: cottage cheese?
vanilla custard powder: vanilla pudding mix?
Wyogal, there is such a thing as cheese curd, which is different from cottage cheese but not all that readily available - it does give the option of using ricotta. Cheese curd is used in poutine here in Canada.

As for vanilla custard powder, it is a staple here and I believe in Europe as well. It is the key to "Nanaimo Bars". But instant vanilla pudding mix could be substituted as long as it is measured out.

The cheese curd down here is really big chunks of curds, nothing like ricotta, not even close.

So is ours here. I would suggest, Eiasu, just listing ricotta as the cheese. I agree with Wyogal that cheese curd would not make a good cheesecake.

Hallo,
i havew found very useful the canadian suggestion on pm,
about the custard, i knew that the german term ´pudding´was translated
into english as ´custard´
for the curd chees, what we originally mean is the german soft fresh cheese called:
marga quark that i don´t know exactely how to translate into english,
somebody know?
thank you very much,
ciao
eiasu

Hallo,
for the curd chees, what we originally mean is the german soft fresh cheese called:
somebody know?
thank you very much,
ciao
eiasu

You could substitute cream cheese, marscapone or ricotta for quark. But quark gives an awesome taste. I would probably suggest stating "quark or ricotta", giving the maker the choice. Anyone else have a thought on this?

Hallo,
somebody know?
thank you very much,
ciao
eiasu

having spend some time in Germany, not sure I'd translate - at least USA - 'pudding' as 'custard'

quark is seriously unknown in USA.
Frischkaese is not present / known.

these 'items' or their very similar counterpart may be available at the very local level - but I am unaware of any 'national brands' that get with kilometers of either product.

I am curious about your publishing theory - is this to support the commune? the web site presents it as a very commercial enterprise.
I also wonder why if in Germany it is being published in English... what market audience are you intending to reach?

mfg,
Dillbert

Divide the eggs and put the egg white separate. Whip the egg yellows with the sugar creamy, then add the cheese, the custard powder and the lemon peel and -juice.
Carefully mix the two stiff masses with the cheese-mixture so that it becomes a fluffy cream. Fill it into the pre bake a dough and bake it in the oven at the same temperature for about 60 minutes. Let it cool down (actually it tastes best if you do the steps up to here already one day before so that the cheesecake can really settle).

When I see the divide eggs I think they will be used in two different steps. Perhaps just saying separate eggs into yolks and whites. We tend to call the yellow part yolk.

Another question is what to do with the lemon peel. Do you zest it, grate it? some folks would not know which to do and may just chop it up and add it.

The rest I think is easy to understand and follow.

Amazing,
thank you,
there will be still a lot of work on this cookingbook,
thank you everybody, really great support!
I will sent a PM to Dillbert,
i was already adviced by the Forum AdMins that this is a forum
about only cooking and nothing else, and i am very happy to answer him
about his questions.
I took all the advices and now the recipe looks like this:

[FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]Blueberry cream cheesecake[/FONT]
[FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]fresh and fruity[/FONT]
Dough:

• [FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]250 g flour[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]125 g butter[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]1 egg[/FONT]
Cheese cream:

• [FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]80 g vanilla pudding mix[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]1 organic lemon[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]3 eggs[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive][FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]½ [/FONT]kg quark cheese
    (if not available mix 450 g ricotta with 50 g sour cream)
    [/FONT]
Topping:

• [FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive][FONT=Calligraph421 BT, cursive]½ k[/FONT]g frozen or fresh blueberries[/FONT]

Dough:
Cut the butter into small pieces, mix the ingredients and quickly knead them to a dough. Wrap it into a plastic foil and leave it for minimum 2 hours in the fridge.
Roll the dough and cover a cake tin bottom and edge with it, bake it at 190° for about ten minutes and let the cake cool down.
Filling:
Grate the peel of the lemon and squeeze the juice out.
Divide the eggs and put the egg whites separate. Whip the yolks with the sugar until creamy, then add the cheese, the pudding powder and the lemon peel and -juice.
Carefully fold the egg whites and whipped cream with the cheese-mixture so that it becomes a fluffy cream. Spread it over the cooled cake and bake it in the oven at the same temperature for about 60 minutes. Let it cool down (actually it tastes best if you do the steps up to here already one day before so that the cheesecake can really settle).
Topping:
Whip the cream very stiff and carefully mix in the blueberries. Decorate according to your taste.
Variations:
Try only the cheesecake without topping and add to the filling either rum raisins or tangerine pieces (out of a can or fresh).
Vary the topping as you like, also cherries taste very good or gooseberries, be inventive!

Some other suggestions...

"Plastic foil" should probably be "plastic wrap", if you mean the clear plastic kind. Foil refers to a silver wrap made from aluminum.

I would want to know how thin to roll the dough for the crust. And/or, I'd want to know how far up the sides of the cake pan the crust should go.

I'd also change the word "cake" to "crust" in the "filling" part of the directions. Pies, tarts, cheesecakes, etc usually have crusts - thin unrisen shells with topping or filling. Cakes are leavened, have structure, and are usually the main event themselves. Cakes are usually frosted. "Cake tin" is OK as that is the name of the pan. You could alternately call it a round baking pan, and give the diameter. In the US we'd call it a round 8" baking pan or a round 9" baking pan.

Lastly, this line here is a little awkward: "(actually it tastes best if you do the steps up to here already one day before so that the cheesecake can really settle)." This kind of direction is often put in a short description or comment given at the very beginning of a recipe, before the ingredient list. It would say something like, "This cheesecake can be baked, cooled, and refrigerated up to X days in advance. For best flavor make the day before you serve it. Wait until just before serving to make the topping and add it to the cheesecake."

HTH!

"Plastic foil" should probably be "plastic wrap", if you mean the clear plastic kind. Foil refers to a silver wrap made from aluminum.

I would want to know how thin to roll the dough for the crust. And/or, I'd want to know how far up the sides of the cake pan the crust should go.

I'd also change the word "cake" to "crust" in the "filling" part of the directions. Pies, tarts, cheesecakes, etc usually have crusts - thin unrisen shells with topping or filling. Cakes are leavened, have structure, and are usually the main event themselves. Cakes are usually frosted. "Cake tin" is OK as that is the name of the pan. You could alternately call it a round baking pan, and give the diameter. In the US we'd call it a round 8" baking pan or a round 9" baking pan.

Lastly, this line here is a little awkward: "(actually it tastes best if you do the steps up to here already one day before so that the cheesecake can really settle)." This kind of direction is often put in a short description or comment given at the very beginning of a recipe, before the ingredient list. It would say something like, "This cheesecake can be baked, cooled, and refrigerated up to X days in advance. For best flavor make the day before you serve it. Wait until just before serving to make the topping and add it to the cheesecake."

HTH!

Apple!
thank you, this i also will put in, now i check all the expressions with the
creator of the recipe,
great, thank you again
ciao
eiasu

HTH!
hallo,
few more questions apperared:
if i use wrap it become:
Wrap it into a plastic wrap ,
which other verb could i use? instead of wrap ... wrap

and i cannot use a round cake pan since the picture refers to a rectangular cake!

Another question about the crust,
it is a sort of "fine adjustment" or you feel really necessary to change it?

I ask this just because if i am going to "fine-adjust" all the book i will grow old and still the book will be not finished! ;)

thank you very much
ciao
eiasu

Cake and crust really do bring to mind two different images for Americans.
When someone says to "wrap in plastic" we understand it to mean plastic wrap.

Thank you wyogal,
here another questions,
how could i better write this sentence?

Put the olive oil in a pan enough to just cover all the bottom with a fine layer of it and put it on a small fire

Back
Top Bottom