Sunday Special Torte

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scotch

Head Chef
The recipe for this wonderful cake is commonly available on the Internet as it was judged "Best of Class" in the Pies & Desserts of the 1964 Pillsbury Bake-Off. A printable copy of the recipe is attached.

542501469_ypK4M-XL.jpg

Attachments

• Sunday Special Torte.pdf
    37.7 KB · Views: 573
My mom's specialty!

My mom made this cake for all holidays! She was the only one who could manage it, and all attempts by anyone else to replicate were utter failures. Once I found it on this site though, I realized she omitted a few key steps, accidentally I'm sure. :ROFLMAO: I will be making this cake for Thanxgiving, and can't wait!

This cake is still a hit!

I've made this cake several times since finding the recipe, once when my sister visited. We both cried at how it evoked memories of our mom. I've made a major change in baking it though, I use springform pans! Believe me when I say it is ten times easier to get this cake stacked together on a cake plate, lol.

Yum! sounds wonderful! Glad I saw your posts on this thread.

You're right CuylerLady, spring form pans are the way to go. I can see why you would have trouble taking them out of a regular pan. Only I don't have 3 spring forms the same size. I would have to make them pyramid style, or perhaps I could insert a parchment paper "collar" into a regular pan. 30 to 40 min. is a long time to bake one at a time! :LOL:

And I'm guessing that just about any preserves would do - as long as they are the consistency of 'jam'? I believe I would also dot with real fruit on the top. Back in the '60's fresh fruits were almost only available during their season or outrageously expensive.

Pyramid torte

I think it'd be great stacked as a pyramid! I'd even go so far as to dot preserves around the edges of the middle and top layers, in an alternating pattern, perhaps, just to create some visual enjoyment.

I couldn't get the picture to load from the OPs link, so I found this one online. A picture is worth $1000 words. I wonder if Mrs Leonard Manske is still with us. Back then the woman went by her husband's name instead of her own.

1cd25f7073ee25764d233b60b4b50c87.jpg

Last edited:
Doubled recipe

That is such a beautiful cake! Since my springform pans are larger than an 8" cake pan, I found the cake batter was too thinly divided among three pans. I now know I must do a double recipe, to get the layers thick enough to bake without scorching.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom