Sweet Sixteen the 8th of February!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CookinBlondie

Senior Cook
My sixteenth birthday is coming up, in just a couple of weeks. My dilema: What to make to take to school for the party. Last year, I made these blossoming beauties. The change that I made was using turquoise sprinkles instead of purple. The problem is, I don't know what to make that would top these. I either want to make a cake or cupcakes, either would be fine with me.

Do any of you have any ideas of what I could creat for this year's addition of "Lauren's Birthday?" Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Can't think of anything, but wanted to say happy birthday. My daughter's birthday is the 8th. (She'll be 4).

Happy Birthday in advance! I don't have any specific ideas, either, but you should try googling 'cupcake decorations', 'sweet 16, etc. _ I know you'll see something that you'll be able to make your very own design!

Happy Birthday to another Aquarius! Mine is on the 11th. Your cupcakes were beautiful!
I loved cooking when I was your age, too. My grandmother's b'day was in May, and one year I baked her a cake that looked like a lady's hat, and decorated it with fresh flowers from my mother's garden.

Here's one idea for you...if you check out Sandra's other recipes, you'll find lots of ideas.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_30019,00.html

Blondie - you're almost 16! Woo Woo!! What a wonderful time for you!

Here's a gorgeous idea:
Make your best cupcakes, and then, using a pastry bag and a large tip), poke a hole in the top of the cupcake and fill the hole. (I like using whipped cream or vanilla pudding).
Then, lightly frost the top with your usual frosting (but make sure it's one that hardens well. Check Martha Stewart - she's got a really good one.
Then, the piece de resistance: Top with these:
get some roses from your (or someone else's) garden that haven't been sprayed with any pesticides at all. Then, carefully remove the petals, wash and pat dry. Using a soft brush (I use a hair tint brush) brush each one individually with egg whites. Set on a piece of waxed paper. When they're halfway dry, sprinkle with a bit of that opalescent flake stuff you can get at the cake decorating shop. When they're fully dry, decorate your cupcakes!
You can also make them even more special by adding some decorated lemon leaves. They hold up beautifully!

(Can you tell I always wanted at least one daughter?)

Here is one of my favorite cake recipes that I usually make for Birthdays. It is so easy and who doesn't like the combination of caramel and chocolate.

Chocolate Caramel-Nut Cake

1 package chocolate cake mix
1 package (4-serving size) chocolate instant pudding and pie filling mix
1 cup water
1/2 cup butter, softened
4 eggs
1 bag (6 oz.) semisweet chocolate chips (1 cup)
1/3 cup caramel topping
Chopped nuts

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 12 cup bundt cake pan. Beat cake mix, pudding mix, water, butter, and eggs in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake 53 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan. Remove from pan to plate. Cool 30 minutes. Prick top and sides of warm cake several times with fork; spread caramel topping over top of cake. Sprinkle with nuts. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Store covered.

Back
Top Bottom