Tall New York Deli Cheesecake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweet pea

Assistant Cook
I'm looking for a receipe for a new york deli stlye cheesecake, the kind that is really tall, four to five inches. I've tried doubling a normal reciepe and wound up with "Cheesecake Pudding." Does anyone have any reciepes or suggestions? I have already tried increase the length of cook time from an hour to an hour and twenty mintues.

Thanks

Hi sweet pea - glad you stopped by. Here is a recipe that claims to be tall but I've never made it. And I would imagine the flavoring could be changed from Lemon to a variety of things. Let us know if you make it and how it turns out.

Double Lemon Cheesecake

This recipe is adapted from one by the same name on Epicurious. I increased it by 50% in order to get a nice tall cheesecake that fit my pan. I also used a gingersnap crust instead of the hazelnut one they used. -k.gibbs

Crust:
12 oz. (3/4 pound) gingersnaps (about 50 Archway ginger snaps)
6 Tbsp. unsalted butter

Filling:
18 oz. cream cheese (I use 2 lowfat and 1 regular to cut calories)
1 c. sugar
3 eggs
3/8 c. lemon juice
1-1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla

Topping:
1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 c. lemon curd

Make crust: Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Finely grind cookies in food processor and sift into bowl. Add melted butter and mix. Pour crumbs into nonstick or greased 9" springform pan. Use glass or finger to spread and compress crumb into crust, spreading them evenly on the bottom and about 1" up the sides of the pan. Bake crust until beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Cool on rack, then refrigerate.

Make filling: blend filling ingredients in processor, beginning with cream cheese and adding one ingredient at a time, blending between each addition. Put a pan filled with water on the bottom rack of the oven to increase the moisture; the upper rack for the cheesecake should be in the center of the oven.

Pour mixture into chilled crust. Bake until cake filling is just set, about 45 minutes. Do not open the oven during this time. Cool cheesecake slightly, making sure to run a knife around the edge so as to minimize cracks while the cheesecake cools and shrinks slightly.

In two separate bowls, whisk the sour cream and the lemon curd. Dollop the sour cream, then the lemon curd, on top of the cheesecake in concentric circles, and mis slightly with the tip of a knife to make a marbled effect. Refrigerate overnight.

Cut into wedges and serve. Garnish with mint, lemon curls, candied ginger or lemon peel, or lemon slices, as desired.

Serves 8.

Back
Top Bottom