"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 11-25-2007, 04:23 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Tarts

Has anyone done any tarts for the Holidays yet? For thanksgiving I had an idea to do a different type of tart. I baked off a tart shell and then made a Ganache(chocolate and cream...center of a truffle). I spiced he ganache with cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg. I sweetened it with some brown sugar as well. I basically put everything that would be in a pumpkin pie in the ganache. Then I just poured the soft ganache into the baked tart shell and did small rossettes of whip cream on each piece. It work beautifully!

Anyone else doing tarts this season? I would love to hear some neat flavor combinations!

Have a great day,

Old 11-25-2007, 08:18 PM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Well I'm planning on some cheesecakes this x-mas, but i'd love to do cheesecake tartlets. Problem is, I don't have tartlet tins and I think if you buy premade shells online you need to buy them in bulk... like 350+ at a time.

I've got a great base for a cheesecake that I learned while working at the restaurant, and once the base is made it's quite easy to flavor it like anything else besides plain cheesecake. I bought enough cream cheese to bake 2 whole cheesecakes, and god only knows how many tartlets I could get out of it. The good news is that if I do tartlets I can divide up the base and do all kinds of different flavors. I'd love to go with some staples like chocolate, caramel, strawberry, and then branch off and experiment with flavors and try something like pomegranate, lemon, peppermint, creme brulee (which I'd like to top with a thin layer of poured sugar to give the crunch), and I might try to perfect my cinnamon apple and my pumpkin pie cheesecake recipes. Champagne flavored might be a fun experiment as well.

I might consider going really experimental and try out some savory flavor combinations, but I think it would involve quite a bit of time and though. Sun-dried tomato could be interesting with the right garnish.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:14 PM   #3
Executive Chef

the only tart that I have made recently had an almond crust and a lemon curd filling. There was also a recipe for a blackberry liquor sauce but I just served it with fresh raspberries and whipped cream. Very tart and lemony and tasty.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:38 AM   #4
Senior Cook

I recently made Raspberry and apple tarts, they turned out beautifully, I dont have the recipe as it was kind of out of my head and whatever i could find at home at the time, but it was basically stewed apples flavoured with cinnamon, laden with a raspberry sauce, i put gelatine in the sauce so it would set. It was very sweet and fruity.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:58 AM   #5
Executive Chef

My favorite tart to make is made with a shortbread crust I bake it to light brown then I put about 1/2 inch of cheese filling like the kind you put in cheese danish bake that off let cool and then I put fresh berries ,kiwi,mango etc then glaze it with apricot glaze.My other favorites are linzer torte and tosca torte.
When I worked in Taos,NM ski area I made all kinds of tarts amd tortes,apple strudel you name it for Apre Ski.I also made cranberry tarts and grenoble tarts.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:06 AM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I try not to make them unless I'm having guests, because I will eat too much of them! At this time of year, I like Cranberry Walnut, Mincemeat, Sweet Potato (with spiced pecan garnixh) and always Lemon Curd with Candied Lemon Slices. Will probably make a couple for New Year's.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:40 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Location: northern Michigan in the forest, overlooking a waterfall
I had some little tart shells in the freezer from the last time I made it over to Sarnia, Ontario. I always try to buy a supply of them in Canada as the US doesn't seem to ever carry them in the grocery. Anyway, I had a meeting that I needed to bring refreshments for so I made currant tart like my mom always did when I was a kid. No exact recipe, just a couple of eggs, a cup sugar, vanilla, and lots of dried Sunmaid currants (raisins would do in a pinch) , and put a spoonful in each tart shell and bake at 325 F until golden and filling is set. Anyway, they went nuts at the meeting over these things. "These are just like mom used to make with left over piecrust" or "Oh my , I haven't had these since Aunt Tillie passed away years ago, " and comments like that all the while. Well, we Americans need to DEMAND those tart shells be carried in the stores. I suppose I could make the crust myself but jeez, 3 dozen of those buggers are too much fuss.

Tags
None