Terminology question and a recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
Honey cake.

1 cup honey
1 ¾ cup sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups hot coffee
2 tsp baking powder
4 cups flour
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
Dash nutmeg
Dash ginger
Dash ground cloves
¾ cup oil

Cream honey, sugar and eggs until fluffy. Set aside.
Put baking soda into coffee and stir. In a separate bowl sift baking powder, flour, allspice nutmeg ginger and cloves. Add coffee mixture. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 pa. Bake at 325 deg for 1 hour (add slivered almonds to the top of the cake before placing in the oven, optional.

What do they mean by "Cream"? And how exactly do I do that?

Thank you.

Honey cake.

1 cup honey
1 ¾ cup sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups hot coffee
2 tsp baking powder
4 cups flour
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
Dash nutmeg
Dash ginger
Dash ground cloves
¾ cup oil

Cream honey, sugar and eggs until fluffy. Set aside.
Put baking soda into coffee and stir. In a separate bowl sift baking powder, flour, allspice nutmeg ginger and cloves. Add coffee mixture. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 pa. Bake at 325 deg for 1 hour (add slivered almonds to the top of the cake before placing in the oven, optional.

What do they mean by "Cream"? And how exactly do I do that?

Thank you.

"Cream" means to combine sugar and eggs with an electric mixer until the mixture is light yellow and has the consistency of a fluffy buttercream frosting sort of.

Its a standard way to combine those ingredients (emulsify them) before adding the flour and liquid

Its easy! You could do it with a bowl and whisk but its a million times easier to do with a hand or stand mixer.

Good luck!

+1

Yes very easy. You can do it Charlie. It sounds VERY sweet.

I understand sugar part, bu how is it going to work with honey? That is what bothers me, honey is heavy and sticky.

I don't understand no fat in the recipe. It's like the honey is taking the place of a fat.

with the honey being so heavy and sticky, as you say, is one good reason why it would be easier to use a mixer rather than doing it by hand.

I was taught to do this with a wooden spoon. I hadn't thought of doing it with a mixer. Hmm, I see some banana muffins in my near future.

Back
Top Bottom