Texas Sheetcake help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SillyOldBear

Assistant Cook
I have a recipe that belonged to the mother of an old friend. She made THE best Texas Sheetcake. It was always moist, tender, and choclaty with a semi-rough, but soft, crumb. She gave me the recipe, and I have never been able to duplicate it. I can't contact her to find out why, so I'm coming here. When I make it, the cake comes out mealy, with a very fine, dry-ish crumb. To look at it, it looks like a cake-style brownie. But it is much softer than a brownie. It's good - it tastes fine, and the texture is ok. But it's not what I remember, and it's not as good as hers was. Is it the ingredients? The order? The amount? Here is the recipe.

2 C Flour
2 C Sugar
2 Sticks buter
4 heaping Tbsp Cocoa
1 C Water
1/2 C Buttermilk
2 eggs
1 tsp Vanilla
1 tsp Baking Soda
Bring to boil the butter, cocoa, and water. Set aside to cool.
In a large bowl, mix flour and sugar. Pour cooled cocoa mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix well. Add buttermilk, eggs, vanilla and soda. Mix well. Pour into a greased sheet pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes (it will spring back.)

FROSTING
1 Stick Butter, melted over low heat.
4 Tbsp Cocoa (add to butter)
Remove from heat and add:
6 Tbsp Milk
1 box Powdered Sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 C nuts
Mix well and pour warm or cooled frosting onto hot cake.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much!
SOB

This is the one that I use.

2 cups AP flour
2 cups sugar
1 cup cocoa
1 cup oil
2 FRESH eggs
2 t baking powder
2 t baking soda
1 t salt
2 cups hot coffee or boiling water

Mix everything in one bowl, bake in a 11X17 pan that has been sprayed with PAM, at 350 degrees for approx. 20 - 25 minutes.

Frosting

1/3 cup butter or margarine
2/3 cup cocoa
2 2/3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 t vanilla extract

Melt butter in microwave add cocoa sugar milk and vanilla beat until smooth and spread on cooled cake.

This has been a standard item at family picnics. It feeds quite a few people and it is not expensive.

Last edited:
I have a similar recipe that has no eggs. The buttermilk/baking soda is the leavening. Let me know if you want the recipe(Fannie Farmer cookbook).

Thank you Aunt Bea - not sure about the coffee though. Does it really change the flavor of the cake?

Pamala - with no eggs in the cake, how does that change the crumb texture?

Thanks!
SOB

Bear, it is a moist cake with a 'rough' crumb. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it isnot fine. I'll post the recipe tomorrow... bedtime here

All I can tell you is give it a try and see if you like it.

I think it wakes up the cocoa and makes it holler!:ermm::ohmy::LOL:
I agree! Coffee makes chocolate that much better. If I am making my signature chocolate cake and know a lot of kids will be eating it, I just use decaf, but it doesn't really matter.

I have a recipe that belonged to the mother of an old friend. She made THE best Texas Sheetcake. It was always moist, tender, and choclaty with a semi-rough, but soft, crumb. She gave me the recipe, and I have never been able to duplicate it. I can't contact her to find out why, so I'm coming here. When I make it, the cake comes out mealy, with a very fine, dry-ish crumb. To look at it, it looks like a cake-style brownie. But it is much softer than a brownie. It's good - it tastes fine, and the texture is ok. But it's not what I remember, and it's not as good as hers was. Is it the ingredients? The order? The amount? Here is the recipe.

2 C Flour
2 C Sugar
2 Sticks buter
4 heaping Tbsp Cocoa
1 C Water
1/2 C Buttermilk
2 eggs
1 tsp Vanilla
1 tsp Baking Soda
Bring to boil the butter, cocoa, and water. Set aside to cool.
In a large bowl, mix flour and sugar. Pour cooled cocoa mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix well. Add buttermilk, eggs, vanilla and soda. Mix well. Pour into a greased sheet pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes (it will spring back.)

FROSTING
1 Stick Butter, melted over low heat.
4 Tbsp Cocoa (add to butter)
Remove from heat and add:
6 Tbsp Milk
1 box Powdered Sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 C nuts
Mix well and pour warm or cooled frosting onto hot cake.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much!
SOB
May try not overmixing the cocoa mixture into the flour.

Just wondering if youve solved your texture issue yet? I have an amazing recipe I was given by a dear fellow foodie friend many years ago. It has never failed me! The KEY is to use a clay bar pan. I use my beloved pampered chef large bar pan. I have tried making this in standard metal pans and the tossable pans. Its just not the same texture at all. Also, my recipe calls for sour cream. This makes SUCH a big difference with the texture and moisture of the finished cake! Heres my recipe:

Boil and let cool:
2 sticks butter
1 cup water
4 T cocoa powder

2 cups ap flour
2 cups Sugar
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup Sour cream
2 eggs

Mix all dry, mix all wet
add wet to dry
add cooled liquid mixture
mix just until blended
pour into a large flat cake pan

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. A clay bar pan will take a few minutes longer.

Frosting:
1 stick Butter (room temp)
1 pound powdered sugar
3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
5 Tablespoons milk (more if needed)

Mix and pour over HOT cake

The frosting will thicken as the cake cools.

This recipe has never disappointed me!
I hope this gives you the results you are looking for!

The difference I noticed right away in the first two recipes posted is that the second one included hot liquid. I find that the hot liquid added to cocoa always helps the chocolate bloom thus improving the flavor. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My recipe is nearly exactly the same except it includes 1 teaspoon cinnamon. I don't think the ingredients for this particular cake will produce a fine textured cake.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom