Thank you DiscussCooking and Jen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdcast

Washing Up
I would like to thank this forum and all its members for the outstanding advice I've received. To Jen, thank you for pouring out all that you know concerning my many questions.

From what I've learned has produced the finest cheesecake I've ever baked. I don't remember having eaten such a marvelous cake possessing all the qualities I was hoping for.

It would have taken me months of trial-n-error before I could have produced such a cake.

Thanks again to all :chef:
Robert

Last edited:
The type of cheesecake I prefer is one with a stand-up bready quality. This requires an extra yolk or two with some amount of flour. I believe there is nothing that can be done to avoid such a recipe to prevent severe cracking. My solution was to slice off the top and flip it upside down to provide a ruled appearance.

Early in it's baking a fair amount of rising occurred before it began to crack. Toward the end of baking and throughout its cooling, it lost most all of the rise. Is there anyway of preserving that beautiful rise?

I make a NY style cheesecake that has the classic heavy texture. I have no problem with a cracking top.

Did you use a water bath? What was your cooling process.

vagriller said:
Care to post the exact recipe you used? As if anyone follows the recipe to the letter, but anyway. Please?

I'd be honored to do just that. Bear with me as I refine that first go so I may relate it legibly.

All the best
Robert

rdcast said:
Early in it's baking a fair amount of rising occurred before it began to crack. Toward the end of baking and throughout its cooling, it lost most all of the rise. Is there anyway of preserving that beautiful rise?

It cannot maintain that rise as it cools. And that is fine with me, as it usually rises above the top of the pan. I prefer to cover the pan while transporting it, so that rise would be an issue. Taste is most important anyway. There is something to be said for presentation, and I strive to achieve the finest looking cake possible, but it all comes down to taste in the end. My recipe calls for a thin sour cream topping, so any cracks are covered.

Andy M. said:
I make a NY style cheesecake that has the classic heavy texture. I have no problem with a cracking top.

Did you use a water bath? What was your cooling process.
Andy, I've never had a problem with cracking either but then I've never used as much flour(1/3cup) or corn starch(1Tbsp) or the amount of egg yolks(8). Keep in mind I used 3 lbs. of cream cheese with 1/3 cup sour cream and 2 full cups of g/s. This requires a minimum 10 in. pan.

I would never bake a cheesecake without humidifying the oven. I always reduce the temperature in three steps, From it's high of 450(15min) to 350(20min) to 200(40min), in general, as long as the center jiggle isn't lost. Then I leave it in till it can be removed with bare hands with no problem.

That amount of flour, corn starch and egg yolks is going to make it a **** of a project to prevent the cracking. What do you think?

Last edited:
but of course

Baked Cheesecake

Cream Cheese 850gr
Sugar 250gr
Cornstarch 20gr
Sour Cream 50gr
Lemon Juice 1
Eggs 6
Cream- heavy or coffee 280gr- warm

Graham Cracker Mix 100gr
Melted Butter 30gr

• Bring Cheese to room temperature
  • Preheat Oven to 325F
  • Brush a spring form pan with butter and link with cracker mix
  • Cream the first 5 ingredients together
  • Add the Eggs one at a time scrape down the bowl every so often
  • Finally add the warm cream and mix well
  • Reserve about 10% of the mix for marbling
  • Flavour the remaining 90% with a compound (chocolate, strawberry etc)
  • Pour into a prepared spring form pan
  • Flavour the other 10% with chocolate or vanilla and marble the surface of the cake
  • Bake for approx 1 hour DO NOT OPEN OVEN for first half an hour. To prevent cracks allow to cook in oven with oven off and door slightly open

Chef_Jen said:
Glad you enjoyed my cake and my recipe :)
LMBO, the conversion of your grams(for heaven's sake) was more than I bargained for, tho' I muddled through it. It was more your advice taken in total that won the prize.

You should see how it slices. OMG, it is brilliant and sooo bootylicious. I did add the vanilla and juice from two lemons and the zest from one.

Some things I'm thinking of changing like incorporating the whites by wooden spoon and adding the sugar at the first with the cheese. The sugar which is dry in appearance melts to add fluidity while beating the cream cheese.

Should it matter at what point to introduce the corn starch? It was my very last ingredient.

rdcast said:
You should see how it slices. OMG, it is brilliant and sooo bootylicious. I did add the vanilla and juice from two lemons and the zest from one.

Did you take any pics? I will have to remember to take pics of the next cake I make. I might make one for company this weekend!

Have you tried lime juice in the cake? It is very good too, and most people are not expecting it.

jkath said:
....but where's the exact recipe? Jen, do you have it nearby to post?
Jen's exact recipe stands on its own merits and will produce an outstanding product no doubt. I did give up in trying to convert grams into standard when considering the difference between volume and weight. Jen did an excellent job in explaining it to me but, duh:blink:. Besides I add flour and the extra yolks to achieve the add breadyness I insist on.

Her tutorial on binding properties, detailed explanations on cause and effect along with technically advanced procedures was even more valuable.

Thanks again Jen,
Robert

Last edited:
I don't know how you got all that into a 10" pan!

Here's my recipe:

Cheesecake

For the Crust:

2 1/3 C Graham Cracker Crumbs
1/2 C Unsalted Butter, melted
1/4 C Sugar

For the Filling:

2 Lb Cream Cheese, room temp.
1 1/2 C Sugar
1/4 C Flour
5 Eggs
16 Oz Sour Cream
1/4 C Milk
1 T Vanilla Extract

Make the Crust:
Position the oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375° F.

Wrap the outside of a 10-inch-diameter springform pan with heavy-duty foil.

Combine all the ingredients in a food processor. Pulse just until the crumbs are moist.

Press the crumb mixture firmly onto the bottom and 2 inches up the sides of the prepared pan. Use a flat bottomed glass or measuring cup to press the crumbs into place.

Bake until the crust begins to brown, about 8 minutes. Transfer the pan to a cooling rack. Maintain oven temperature.

Make the Filling:
Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and sugar in a large bowl until will blended then beat in the flour.

Add the eggs 1 at a time, beating just until combined. Beat in the sour cream, milk and vanilla. Pour the filling into the crust.

Place the springform pan in large roasting pan. Pour enough hot water into the roasting pan to come half way up the sides of pan.

Bake the cheesecake until just set in center and top is slightly puffed and golden brown, about 1 hour.

Turn off oven and keep the door closed. Leave the cake in the oven for 1 hour.

Remove springform pan from roasting pan and remove the foil. Cool it on a cooling rack for a couple of hours. Refrigerate at least 6 hours. Cover and refrigerate overnight before removing from the pan.
To remove the cake from the pan, first run a thin bladed knife around the inside of the pan to separate the cake from the side of the pan. Remove the springform sides.

Place the cheesecake with the pan bottom on a burner and heat it for about 10 seconds. This will soften the butter in the crust so you can slide the cake off the pan bottom onto a serving plate. Use a long frosting spatula or knife blade to ease the transfer.

vagriller said:
Did you take any pics? I will have to remember to take pics of the next cake I make. I might make one for company this weekend!

Have you tried lime juice in the cake? It is very good too, and most people are not expecting it.
Yes, I also like lime juice but I hate the appearance of the green zest so I use lemon zest anyway. My favorite is orange zest and Jen's suggestion of blood orange sounds great. But I'm getting tired of having to tell her thanks, hahaha, jk. You know how much I appreciate your generosity Jen.
:w00t2:

Last edited:
When pressing the crust up the sides of the pan, it helps to wrap you fingers in saran wrap. That way the butter stays in the crust, not on your hands.

Andy,
That recipe looks similiar to mine.

vagriller said:
When pressing the crust up the sides of the pan, it helps to wrap you fingers in saran wrap. That way the butter stays in the crust, not on your hands.

Andy,
That recipe looks similiar to mine.
You mean Jen stole it from you? Oh my!!!:ROFLMAO:I bet she hits hard, just funnin with ya Jen.

Thanks for that Andy and I started out with her use of plastic wrap to line the pan, but had trouble making it stay. That's something I really want to learn to save on the use of foil.

P.S. no pix yet, presentation needs improving but wait till you see! lol, *going for another slice*

Last edited:
vagriller said:
When pressing the crust up the sides of the pan, it helps to wrap you fingers in saran wrap. That way the butter stays in the crust, not on your hands...

I use a flat-bottomed and straight-sided measuring cup to pack down the crumbs on the bottom and sides.

Also, I read that overbeating the batter is the primary cause of cracking. I've always felt it was caused by the cooking and cooling process.

Back
Top Bottom