The Baker vs The Cook.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can do both, but do not like baking, rather have no patients for it. And also decorating cakes is definetely not my cup of tea. Cooking on the other hand I really love.

I agree with those who say that baking is more science/math, cooking more art. You can get very artistic with baking, but only after you have the science/math part down. Most cooking is very much more forgiving. Your spaghetti sauce really doesn't care if you make it in a rather frigid kitchen, your bread will. If you run out of an ingredient for your casserole, or a seasoning for your meat, you can usually find a sub in the pantry. You can't say, oh, gee, I don't guess I really need the yeast.

I agree with those who say that baking is more science/math, cooking more art. You can get very artistic with baking, but only after you have the science/math part down. Most cooking is very much more forgiving. Your spaghetti sauce really doesn't care if you make it in a rather frigid kitchen, your bread will. If you run out of an ingredient for your casserole, or a seasoning for your meat, you can usually find a sub in the pantry. You can't say, oh, gee, I don't guess I really need the yeast.

But, yeast recipes, while still picky, are a lot more forgiving than recipes that rely on baking powder, baking soda, hartshorn, etc., or eggs for rising.

Back
Top Bottom