The "cake mix and soda" trick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MostlyWater

Sous Chef
Does anyone know if I can use flavored seltzer or even just water instead of a soda?

Of course you could. However, the flavor balance will shift. The soda and cake mix versions make up for the missing fat with the added sugar. Sadly, this is how many low fat foods are handled so they have no real calorie savings.

As to whether the result will be satisfying, that's a harder question.

As I normally see the cake and soda done as a shortcut cobbler, I think it would be fine in the case of a cobbler. There is already plenty of sugar there.

I think the cake by itself won't quite please like it should.

thymeless

i have done the mix and diet soda thing; i'm not crazy aboaut the diet taste.

i didn't think the cake mix and regular soda thing was so out of the ballpark with the calories. a soda is what, 120 calories ? if you cut the cake into 12 pieces, it's not that many extra calories than using a diet soda.

that's why i was thinking seltzer as a middle ground.

i don'tknow what you mean about a cobbler...pls explain

Most diet sodas are made with aspartame which degrades when cooked. Tastes awful in that state.

Phil

i don't think the diet tastes worse cooked - it doesn't taste great to begin with.

I've been a proponent of the cake mix soda pop idea for many years. I am not sure if this thread is due to wanting to reduce calories in the cake recipe or just because you're curious about the outcome using pop.

My feeling is that the bubbles in the soda pop makes for a lighter cake, as it volumes it up. Plus the extra sugar adds more sweetness to the end result. I love what it does to the OrangeDreamsicle cake.

I wouldn't use diet soda in the cake mix, I mean why would you, seems to be doing nothing for you, as there's sugar in the mix already. I know many who use diet soda in place of water to make their sugar free gelatin.

I would and have used seltzer water and flavored seltzer would work perfectly too.

it's a fat thing. but thanks for your thoughts. want to expound on the cobbler thing ?

They're often called dump cakes as well and are popular with the cast iron dutch oven camp cooks.

But basically, you pour in a can or two of fruit (1 28 oz can or two 14-16 oz cans) or sometimes pie filling such as for berries into your cake pan (or dutch oven for the campers).

Pour the dry cake mix on top evenly. Pour in the 12 oz soda. Bake at 350ish for 45 minutes or so.

Popular combinations are cherries with chocolate cake and Doctor Pepper. Other additions such as nuts and shredded coconut appear. Sometimes chocolate chips. Peach cobbler with white or yellow cake and a lemon lime or gingerale.

thymeless

There is no fat is soda drinks - only sugar and carbs....and of course calories. So if it's fat you are worried about don't worry about using regular soda.

Just to rattle your chain, go look at an orange soda ingredients list or I think Mountain Dew has it too. You'll see brominated vegetable oil. Small amounts sure, but some sodas do have fat!

Since the last time I looked, Wikipedia has added an article on it. Brominated vegetable oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kinda scary actually.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom