"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 07-21-2006, 09:24 PM   #11
Senior Cook

The water bath is for a single purpose vagriller, to humidify the baking environment, preventing all those sexy cracks.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:37 PM   #12
Cook

to be honest, i've always baked my cheesecakes without a water bath, and they still seem to be a great hit, both young and old alike. i just make sure that the center is still a bit wobbly, thus avoiding the unsightly cracks (which for home purposes aren't important) and the end result is still creamy. i would like to try the water bath at some point, though, but it seems to be a bit too much hassle...is it?

Old 07-28-2006, 12:56 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcast
The water bath is for a single purpose vagriller, to humidify the baking environment, preventing all those sexy cracks.
You are talking about putting the springform pan inside a pan of water, right?
Old 07-28-2006, 01:07 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
Cracks have nothing to do with the water bath per say they are from opening the doors and also not allowing the cake to cool in the oven with the doors closed or slightly adjar. Me and my dad have been baking cheesecakes ever since i was 4 My dad long before that. Being a Pastry chef he did a lot of cakes mmm

The waterbath provides mositure so that the eggs dont harden and your cake says soft and delicate.

Also a waterbath allows the cake to cook at the same temperature because most cheesecakes are 325 the water doesnt go over 212 and it provides an even cooking plain

Most importantly the cheesecake err well the eggs wont overcoagulate (word of the day) Which means you dont have Fallen Cheesecake syndrome Sinking ship as it may be!

You will find you can place a pan of water under the cake and it give you the same results!

I personally wrap my tins in Plastic wrap rather then foil. I do this with my chocolate flourless torte and my Cheesecakes.

Oh ever have a wrinkly Cheesecake top??? try covering your cheesecake it will prevent the wrinkle top!

I always make my cakes at night and allow them to cool in the oven for 5 hours!! over night. they turn out with no cracks or wrinkles and are Springy and Tall

Hope this helps?
Old 07-28-2006, 01:08 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
I just re-read my post WOW im a geek!
Old 07-28-2006, 01:14 PM   #16
Head Chef

Discussion of cheesecake cooking methods will soon get put in the off-limits categories like religion and politics.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:42 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Yes, a water bath does assist in making the top more delectable and crack free. Any oven humidity is better than none. So just put some oven ready cups and containers under or around in the oven with your cake. Boil the water first on the stove top so the humidification(new word) starts immediately.
Thanks arlienb

All the best,
Robert
Old 07-28-2006, 06:48 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller
You are talking about putting the springform pan inside a pan of water, right?
Yes, it's a simple enough step taking better care of expensive ingredients.

A friend If you care,
Robert
Old 07-28-2006, 07:11 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_Jen
Cracks have nothing to do with the water bath per say they are from opening the doors and also not allowing the cake to cool in the oven with the doors closed or slightly adjar. Me and my dad have been baking cheesecakes ever since i was 4 My dad long before that. Being a Pastry chef he did a lot of cakes mmm

The waterbath provides mositure so that the eggs dont harden and your cake says soft and delicate.

Also a waterbath allows the cake to cook at the same temperature because most cheesecakes are 325 the water doesnt go over 212 and it provides an even cooking plain

Most importantly the cheesecake err well the eggs wont overcoagulate (word of the day) Which means you dont have Fallen Cheesecake syndrome Sinking ship as it may be!

You will find you can place a pan of water under the cake and it give you the same results!

I personally wrap my tins in Plastic wrap rather then foil. I do this with my chocolate flourless torte and my Cheesecakes.

Oh ever have a wrinkly Cheesecake top??? try covering your cheesecake it will prevent the wrinkle top!

I always make my cakes at night and allow them to cool in the oven for 5 hours!! over night. they turn out with no cracks or wrinkles and are Springy and Tall

Hope this helps?
OMG, will you marry me? Ha, just don't tell mah wife and mah 15 year old son. I agree with most everything you said and thank you for the rest. Your insight for the true purpose for the water bath shall not go un-rewarded.
I bequeath unto YOU the crown of specialized knowledge
Oh, and plastic wrap wont melt at 500 degrees fahrenheit?

Thank you daddy's girl,
Robert
Old 07-28-2006, 07:15 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller
Discussion of cheesecake cooking methods will soon get put in the off-limits categories like religion and politics.
You scare mego away, jk. There must be wisdom in what you say else I would understand it, hahahahaha. You still scare me tho'. You've heard of " death by chocolate " ? I can assure you that cheesecake in all its glory will do you in long before chocolate will, unless it's a chocolate cheesecake

Tags
None