The Cheesecake Experiment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdcast

Washing Up
:chef: I love baking cheesecakes. The kind with all the most unhealthy ingredients. Fatty cream cheese, heavy cream, real butter, plenty of eggs and liquors ! Nothing is more fun than to tinker with new recipes but I really don't know what I'm doing.

ok, so I don't know much about baking but I make a fairly mean cheesecake when I follow directions. My burning question right now is, how does more or less egg whites and egg yolks have on the end product ?

I searched the Internet all day for a chat room or forum to answere that question. It might seem stupid but i wanted to build a better cheesecake with what I found out. Where's Grandma when I need her ?

I spend a lot of time looking for the perfect Cheesecake Recipes.. I love the extremely rich Cheesecakes, but my wife prefers the simple plain or White Chocolate recipes with a fruit topping.. Can't say I blame her..

I'll let you know if I find any news ones up your alley..

My only trick for Cheesecake is using a 3" wide strip of Parchment and lining it all the way around my Springform pan. It just helps me get "perfect" edge with no sticking to the pan. I generally even re-use the parchment until it cracks..

candelbc said:
I spend a lot of time looking for the perfect Cheesecake Recipes.. I love the extremely rich Cheesecakes, but my wife prefers the simple plain or White Chocolate recipes with a fruit topping.. Can't say I blame her..

I'll let you know if I find any news ones up your alley..

My only trick for Cheesecake is using a 3" wide strip of Parchment and lining it all the way around my Springform pan. It just helps me get "perfect" edge with no sticking to the pan. I generally even re-use the parchment until it cracks..
That was fantastic and I so appreciate it. Your wife should understand that there is no such thing as white chocolate but represents a flavored lard. The fruit toping is the right stuff and I share that thought with her. Thank you for you secret. You are now my friend.:alien:

I am sure you already know this, but I also always cook Cheesecakes in a water bath. I'm not sure if this is the general opinion, but I always seem to notice the difference..

-Brad

I've never had a problem with leakage, though many seem to share a common fear of the dreaded seam. I like wrapping the base insert with foil making the seal tighter and simpler to remove from the cake.

Thanks Brad

All the best,
Robert

The water bath is for a single purpose vagriller, to humidify the baking environment, preventing all those sexy cracks.

to be honest, i've always baked my cheesecakes without a water bath, and they still seem to be a great hit, both young and old alike. i just make sure that the center is still a bit wobbly, thus avoiding the unsightly cracks (which for home purposes aren't important) and the end result is still creamy. i would like to try the water bath at some point, though, but it seems to be a bit too much hassle...is it?

rdcast said:
The water bath is for a single purpose vagriller, to humidify the baking environment, preventing all those sexy cracks.

You are talking about putting the springform pan inside a pan of water, right?

Cracks have nothing to do with the water bath per say they are from opening the doors and also not allowing the cake to cool in the oven with the doors closed or slightly adjar. Me and my dad have been baking cheesecakes ever since i was 4 My dad long before that. Being a Pastry chef he did a lot of cakes mmm

The waterbath provides mositure so that the eggs dont harden and your cake says soft and delicate.

Also a waterbath allows the cake to cook at the same temperature because most cheesecakes are 325 the water doesnt go over 212 and it provides an even cooking plain

Most importantly the cheesecake err well the eggs wont overcoagulate (word of the day) Which means you dont have Fallen Cheesecake syndrome Sinking ship as it may be!

You will find you can place a pan of water under the cake and it give you the same results!

I personally wrap my tins in Plastic wrap rather then foil. I do this with my chocolate flourless torte and my Cheesecakes.

Oh ever have a wrinkly Cheesecake top??? try covering your cheesecake it will prevent the wrinkle top!

I always make my cakes at night and allow them to cool in the oven for 5 hours!! over night. they turn out with no cracks or wrinkles and are Springy and Tall

Hope this helps?

Discussion of cheesecake cooking methods will soon get put in the off-limits categories like religion and politics.:LOL:

Yes, a water bath does assist in making the top more delectable and crack free. Any oven humidity is better than none. So just put some oven ready cups and containers under or around in the oven with your cake. Boil the water first on the stove top so the humidification(new word) starts immediately.
Thanks arlienb

All the best,
Robert

vagriller said:
You are talking about putting the springform pan inside a pan of water, right?
Yes, it's a simple enough step :cat:taking better care of expensive ingredients.

A friend If you care,
Robert

Chef_Jen said:
Cracks have nothing to do with the water bath per say they are from opening the doors and also not allowing the cake to cool in the oven with the doors closed or slightly adjar. Me and my dad have been baking cheesecakes ever since i was 4 My dad long before that. Being a Pastry chef he did a lot of cakes mmm

The waterbath provides mositure so that the eggs dont harden and your cake says soft and delicate.

Also a waterbath allows the cake to cook at the same temperature because most cheesecakes are 325 the water doesnt go over 212 and it provides an even cooking plain

Most importantly the cheesecake err well the eggs wont overcoagulate (word of the day) Which means you dont have Fallen Cheesecake syndrome Sinking ship as it may be!

You will find you can place a pan of water under the cake and it give you the same results!

I personally wrap my tins in Plastic wrap rather then foil. I do this with my chocolate flourless torte and my Cheesecakes.

Oh ever have a wrinkly Cheesecake top??? try covering your cheesecake it will prevent the wrinkle top!

I always make my cakes at night and allow them to cool in the oven for 5 hours!! over night. they turn out with no cracks or wrinkles and are Springy and Tall

Hope this helps?

:brows: OMG, will you marry me? Ha, just don't tell mah wife and mah 15 year old son. I agree with most everything you said and thank you for the rest. Your insight for the true purpose for the water bath shall not go un-rewarded.
I bequeath unto YOU the crown of specialized knowledge:king:
Oh, and plastic wrap wont melt at 500 degrees fahrenheit? :ohmy:

Thank you daddy's girl,
Robert

vagriller said:
Discussion of cheesecake cooking methods will soon get put in the off-limits categories like religion and politics.:LOL:
You scare me:dew:go away, jk. There must be wisdom in what you say else I would understand it, hahahahaha. You still scare me tho'. You've heard of " death by chocolate " ? I can assure you that cheesecake in all its glory will do you in long before chocolate will, unless it's a chocolate cheesecake:excl:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom