"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes
Old 09-20-2014, 03:55 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
The disaster cake

today I tried to do the chocolate tart but...
this cake is invented by Ernst Knam , one of most pastry chef of Milano (Italia) but is very difficult because over the outside coated by shortcrust pastry , inside the is a cream of mix of custard and ganache . so when I ended the cake, I removing the cake from the oven and I have a brilliant idea to turn the cake too early when the cake is yet very hot . the inside of cake is output on the table and I hat to throw it.
even happened to you a disaster as my?

benedotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
the disaster cake

Oh no! After all that work!

I'm a better cook than I am a baker. Although I don't know that I would have thrown it away, would have eaten that misbehaving cake!

She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:02 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
I would be eating the remnants while thinking about how to make it better next time.

I have turned out a cake before it was fully cooled, all you can do is learn from the experience.
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:49 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Don't think I would've thrown it out either. Might have been good over ice cream.

Turning it out too early most likely didn't allow the soft inside to set up, which is why you had a bit of a gooey mess.

Even with disasters, we can still enjoy our failures. Get me a spoon......
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:15 AM   #5
Assistant Cook
oh yes on the ice cream , that is a fantastic idea!! : ) I ate in the evening all that was recoverable. in fact I am eating this mornig the shortcrust pastry in the milk , it is very delicious!!
thank you for the beautiful advices :)
Old 09-21-2014, 05:00 AM   #6
Master Chef
I've rescued many a desert in one way. The most recent was that I always ask friends to bring desert to holiday get togethers (not my forte, I'll just buy it if you don't bring it!), and one tried a pumpkin thingie of some sort rather than just plain pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. It didn't quite set well enough to serve in slices. She was very upset, almost in tears. She'd brought whipped cream to top it with. I grabbed some stemmed wine glasses (any clear glass would have done), probably a liquor of some kind (given a choice it would be Frangelica, but it was probably just rum) and started layering. She caught on right away, and we made some lovely farfait/individual trifles, or whatever you want to call them!
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:08 AM   #7
Assistant Cook
hi Claire I read that you come from Galena and I ask me where is it this town and I find out the is in Illinois , sorry I know that this is a forum of cooking but I am very curious because I am never went to Usa. I come from Italy and so I would ask you how is it Galena ? thanks you for your time:)
Old 09-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #8
Assistant Cook
Accidents happen, even to the most experienced bakers. Instead of throwing your hard (and delicious sounding) work away, try to re-purpose it by making it into a crumble topping for ice cream or a trifle.
daphne7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #9
Sous Chef
I wouldn't throw it out if it's bake properly but a bit jumble. Scoop the pieces in a bowl and blob on some whipped cream.
Oldvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:43 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
if you have some bits of cake left, some dark chocolate, cherries, and some water balloons, make a cherry gateau bowl.

melt chocolate in a double boiler, then transfer it to a narrow, high sided bowl. inflate the ballons (with air, not water, lol) and dip and roll half way into the chocolate, gently stand on wax paper on a tray, and refrigerate to let the chocolate set up.
after it's hardened, repeat the dipping so it's double thick.

once they've hardened, snip the balloons and carefully remove from the chocolate. you now have dark chocolate bowls.

make a cherry compote (boil down cherries in a likttle water, sugar, brandy, and lemon juice) and let cool. the cherries should just be soft not mush, and the liquid syrupy.

place small chunks of chocolate cake in the chocolate bowls, ladel in the cherry compote to fill the bowls, then top with whipped cream and a couple of fresh cherries.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote