The disaster cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benedotta

Assistant Cook
today I tried to do the chocolate tart but...
this cake is invented by Ernst Knam , one of most pastry chef of Milano (Italia) but is very difficult because over the outside coated by shortcrust pastry , inside the is a cream of mix of custard and ganache . so when I ended the cake, I removing the cake from the oven and I have a brilliant idea to turn the cake too early when the cake is yet very hot . the inside of cake is output on the table and I hat to throw it. :mad:
even happened to you a disaster as my?:LOL:

the disaster cake

Oh no! After all that work! :(

I'm a better cook than I am a baker. Although I don't know that I would have thrown it away, would have eaten that misbehaving cake!

Last edited:
I would be eating the remnants while thinking about how to make it better next time.

I have turned out a cake before it was fully cooled, all you can do is learn from the experience.

Don't think I would've thrown it out either. Might have been good over ice cream.

Turning it out too early most likely didn't allow the soft inside to set up, which is why you had a bit of a gooey mess.

Even with disasters, we can still enjoy our failures. Get me a spoon......:LOL:

oh yes on the ice cream , that is a fantastic idea!! : ) I ate in the evening all that was recoverable. in fact I am eating this mornig the shortcrust pastry in the milk , it is very delicious!!
thank you for the beautiful advices :)

I've rescued many a desert in one way. The most recent was that I always ask friends to bring desert to holiday get togethers (not my forte, I'll just buy it if you don't bring it!), and one tried a pumpkin thingie of some sort rather than just plain pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. It didn't quite set well enough to serve in slices. She was very upset, almost in tears. She'd brought whipped cream to top it with. I grabbed some stemmed wine glasses (any clear glass would have done), probably a liquor of some kind (given a choice it would be Frangelica, but it was probably just rum) and started layering. She caught on right away, and we made some lovely farfait/individual trifles, or whatever you want to call them!

hi Claire I read that you come from Galena and I ask me where is it this town and I find out the is in Illinois , sorry I know that this is a forum of cooking but I am very curious because I am never went to Usa. I come from Italy and so I would ask you how is it Galena ? thanks you for your time:)

Accidents happen, even to the most experienced bakers. Instead of throwing your hard (and delicious sounding) work away, try to re-purpose it by making it into a crumble topping for ice cream or a trifle.

if you have some bits of cake left, some dark chocolate, cherries, and some water balloons, make a cherry gateau bowl.

melt chocolate in a double boiler, then transfer it to a narrow, high sided bowl. inflate the ballons (with air, not water, lol) and dip and roll half way into the chocolate, gently stand on wax paper on a tray, and refrigerate to let the chocolate set up.
after it's hardened, repeat the dipping so it's double thick.

once they've hardened, snip the balloons and carefully remove from the chocolate. you now have dark chocolate bowls.

make a cherry compote (boil down cherries in a likttle water, sugar, brandy, and lemon juice) and let cool. the cherries should just be soft not mush, and the liquid syrupy.

place small chunks of chocolate cake in the chocolate bowls, ladel in the cherry compote to fill the bowls, then top with whipped cream and a couple of fresh cherries.

:chef:

:yum: Who needs a cake disaster? This sounds wonderful as a planned "accident"!

This reminds me of a story involving my first roommate back in the 70s. We were two young and clueless dudes, and this was the first time either of us had lived on our own. The house was a dilapidated crap-hole, but we didn't care because... well... we're dudes. :rolleyes:

Len (the roommate) had a dessert craving one day and decided to make a sheet cake from boxed mix. He popped the pan into the oven and then promptly fell asleep in front of the TV on the couch. Four hours later, I smell something burning and walk into the kitchen to find the air hazy with smoke.

I opened the oven door and, instead of a cake, found a dark and blackened brick. On top of being overcooked, I think Len had also forgotten to grease the pan, because, despite several attempts to chisel the cake loose, it refused to budge.

So Len goes out to the garage and comes back a few minutes later with a can of silver spray paint. He then proceeds to emblazon the word "Welcome" onto the petrified cake, still in the pan.

That cake became our doormat for the next few weeks. I wish I still had the photo. ;)

Last edited:
I don't think I would have tossed the cake. Ice cream, etc. covers many a mistake...

Hmm....

Ya'll know I don't really bake. Most of my cakes fall apart when I take them out of the pan. Whip cream, icing, and even ice cream have pasted many a cake back together.....

Hmm.....

So.....you are suppose to let the cake cool before removing it? Maybe I'll try that next time..... :blush:

hi Claire I read that you come from Galena and I ask me where is it this town and I find out the is in Illinois , sorry I know that this is a forum of cooking but I am very curious because I am never went to Usa. I come from Italy and so I would ask you how is it Galena ? thanks you for your time:)

I know I should move this to the more personal forum, but have been having computer problems with the site. Someone may move this. Galena is a type of lead, and there are several towns in America and worldwide named after the metal that is/was mined there. Right off the top of my head, I know there is also a town named Galena in Alaska and one in Indiana. The town in the northwest corner of Illinois, where I live, was once a mining town and is now a picturesque town known for its beauty and pretty little shops, restaurants; it is a tourist destination. It is not unusual for Europeans to see it and fall in love with the town because it reminds them of "home". Having grown up partly in Europe, I, too, moved here because it reminded me of the lovely Alpine villages of my young days. You can visit Galena on your computer and see photographs of the town where I live.

if you have some bits of cake left, some dark chocolate, cherries, and some water balloons, make a cherry gateau bowl.

melt chocolate in a double boiler, then transfer it to a narrow, high sided bowl. inflate the ballons (with air, not water, lol) and dip and roll half way into the chocolate, gently stand on wax paper on a tray, and refrigerate to let the chocolate set up.
after it's hardened, repeat the dipping so it's double thick.

once they've hardened, snip the balloons and carefully remove from the chocolate. you now have dark chocolate bowls.

make a cherry compote (boil down cherries in a likttle water, sugar, brandy, and lemon juice) and let cool. the cherries should just be soft not mush, and the liquid syrupy.

place small chunks of chocolate cake in the chocolate bowls, ladel in the cherry compote to fill the bowls, then top with whipped cream and a couple of fresh cherries.

:chef:

Your boy taught you that, didn't he. C'mon, fess up. I mean, dipping balloons in chocolate. It's way to creative for adults (yeh, I watched that you tube video too;)). This is you - :chef:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I probably wouldn't have tossed it out either. I've only thrown one dessert out. I made 3 recipes of banana pudding for a family reunion. I didn't have a dish that large so I used an aluminum roasting pan. Just as I picked it up, the pan buckled and turned upside down on my kitchen floor. After another trip to the grocery store, I made another and used two pans together next time.
I made a lemon cake once that neither my dh nor I was crazy about but our grandchildren loved it. They call it my Failure cake, but I don't remember where the recipe is.

thanks you Claire very much. I visit Galena whit computer and you have reason this town remember me home , it is a fantastic city I hope that one day i will can visit it.

:yum: Who needs a cake disaster? This sounds wonderful as a planned "accident"!
There are plenty of venerable dishes which reputedly grew from accidents.

In Vienna you get Kaiserschmarrn which is a chopped up pancake/crepe. One of the stories of its "invention" goes to the Emperor visiting a small inn while travelling. The inn-keeper's wife only had ingredients for a pancake. The cook was so nervous about cooking for the emperor that she tore the pancake while turning it out. The inn-keeper's wife immediately cut up the pancake dusted it with sugar and served it with jam as the inn's speciality.

Your boy taught you that, didn't he. C'mon, fess up. I mean, dipping balloons in chocolate. It's way to creative for adults (yeh, I watched that you tube video too;)). This is you - :chef:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

actually, i got that from my eldest sister. she's the baker and chocolatier in the family.

Back
Top Bottom