The French Kings Cake ("La Galette des Rois")

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sanyoc5

Assistant Cook
Hi there !

For my first recipe I suggest the galette des rois :) The French Kings Cake :)

A very simple recipe, without traps, inexpensive and above all delicious! :)

The galette des rois is a French specialty that is traditionally eaten in January. On the occasion of this new year and new decade, I invite you to discover the recipe for this delicious treat!

FOR A SINGLE KINGS CAKE:

- 2 pie crusts (puff pastry)
- 150 g almond powder

- 75 g butter

- 2 eggs + 1 yolk

- 100 grs sugar

- A large box of pears in syrup

- 60 to 90 grs of chocolate chips

The recipe FOR A SINGLE KINGS CAKE :

- Drain the pears.

- Combine all the ingredients except the egg yolk.

- Roll out the first puff pastry. Prick the dough with a fork

- Wet the outer edges of the dough with water for 2 cm

- Spread the almond cream up to the limit of two centimeters

- Take the second dough and place it on the first to close the cake. - Press well on the edges to seal the two pastes.

- Mix the egg yolk with a little bit of water. - Brush the top of the cake with.

/!\ VERY IMPORTANT: make a hole in the middle of the cake so that the steam can escape. Otherwise the cake explodes !!!!! XD /!\

Last edited by a moderator:
I miss "la galette des rois" and haven't ate any since I left France 35 years ago.

I will have to find the time to make your recipe. I didn't know their was pear syrup in it.
Right now, I am perfecting my "Sable Breton" recipe. I am almost there, it taste and look like the real "Traou Mad".

Hi. Can you please clarify about the almond cream? Is it the mixture of all the ingredients except the egg yolk, including the pears? Are they combined in a certain way?

Also, how many pears are in a "large box"? I don't see pears in a box at the grocery stores near me. And, do you need to prepare them in some way? Remove the cores, cut into pieces, etc.? Thanks.

Hi. Can you please clarify about the almond cream? Is it the mixture of all the ingredients except the egg yolk, including the pears? Are they combined in a certain way?

Also, how many pears are in a "large box"? I don't see pears in a box at the grocery stores near me. And, do you need to prepare them in some way? Remove the cores, cut into pieces, etc.? Thanks.

Hi :)
Sorry for my lack of precision, the previous recipe had 2 errors.
There is no pears in the authentic Galette des Rois. You do not need them.

Here is the corrected version:

FOR A SINGLE KINGS CAKE:

- 2 pie crusts (puff pastry)
- 150 g almond powder

- 75 g butter

- 2 eggs + 1 yolk

- 100 grs sugar

- A large box of pears in syrup

- 60 to 90 grs of chocolate chips

The recipe FOR A SINGLE KINGS CAKE :

- Drain the pears.

- Combine almond powder+2 eggs+sugar.

- Roll out the first puff pastry. Prick the dough with a fork

- Wet the outer edges of the dough with water for 2 cm

- Spread the almond cream up to the limit of two centimeters

- Take the second dough and place it on the first to close the cake. - Press well on the edges to seal the two pastes.

- Mix the egg yolk with a little bit of water. - Brush the top of the cake with.

/!\ VERY IMPORTANT: make a hole in the middle of the cake so that the steam can escape. Otherwise the cake explodes !!!!! /!\

Last edited by a moderator:
You are welcome :)
I have done a short video on youtube (less than 3 min):
"Make a #golden French #kings"cake" (Random Thingy Tank channel) that explains the process ;)

Last edited:
Kings Cake seems very much like Pithiviers. Can you explain the difference between them? Or are they two names for the same thing?

The Pitiviers has the main ingredients of a "galette des rois", however they are not the same proportions.
The "galette des roi" is finer and traditionally contains a broad bean, the pitiviers is a "gateau".
In France, a distinction is made between a "galette" - thinner, therefore more crunchy :yum: - from a "gateau" (thicker, subtantial) :yum:

Back
Top Bottom