"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 03-13-2009, 08:53 AM   #21
Head Chef

This looks great and fun for kids to do. Is there any way I can forward this to my granddaughter?

Old 03-13-2009, 09:26 AM   #22
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
This looks great and fun for kids to do. Is there any way I can forward this to my granddaughter?

You can highlight it, copy and paste into an email.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:03 AM   #23
Head Chef

You should be ashamed! :) I must now try this. Thanks
Old 03-13-2009, 10:17 AM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by snack_pack85 View Post
...Have no idea what wattage our microwave is. I'd mix in a seperate bowl next time too, but the dh says it would take away from the five minute part of the cake. Smarty pants.

Your microwave wattage should be in the owners manual and on a plate on the back or bottom of the microwave. Most microwaves have the ability to change the power level, e.g. 90% 50% etc. You should be able to use that feature to approximate 1000 watts.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:06 PM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
...I'm going to add more sugar and a dash of salt.
I agree about the sugar. Just a little more would be perfect I think ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
That's a good starting point. It might take some experimentation to get it right.
3:30 in a 750 wattage microwave was good. It was ooey - gooey on the bottom. I assumed these were the melted chocolate chips but I may be wrong ... ? It was done on the top so we ate it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
... like Kahlua or Bailey's to compensate? I can see broken up pieces of peppermint in here too, if you like peppermint, or a bit of Chombord drizzled in...
I think we are going to try the Bailey's idea tonight. I like the peppermint too. I really like chocolate cherry's so maybe grenadine ...

Thank you BettyR for sharing this recipe - it is wonderful!!
Old 03-18-2009, 11:54 AM   #26
Senior Cook

You are all welcome and I'm so glad you have enjoyed the recipe...the person who developed this recipe did so as a treat for her grand kids...they to have really enjoyed grandma's treat.

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:21 PM   #27
Master Chef

This recipe is a keeper. There are similar things you can do as well, and come out with a slightly different end result. I have taken my pancake batter recipe ("Goodweed's World Famous Pancakes", added extra sugar to it, and cocoa powder and made chocolate cake. But since it has baking powder in the recipe, it is lighter. I've also used the basic pancake recipe and used brown sugar and lots of butter to make a butterscotch cake, again in the microwave. If you add fruits, or fruit extracts, you can make strawberry, blueberry, orange, lemon, or whatever flavor you want. Add aplesauce to the batter, with cinamon, nutmeg, and broken pecans or walnuts and you get spice cake. The variations are limited only by your imagination.

One caution to you all though. I once used a ceramic mug that I thought would be microwave safe. It wasn't. The handle got so hot that you couldn't touch it, and the mug actually cracked. So before using any container in your microwave oven, make sure that it is microwave save.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:32 PM   #28
Sous Chef

ohhhhhhh...I KNEW I should have left this one alone!!!
this will be dangerous knowledge during PMS...
Old 03-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #29
Senior Cook

Dangerous for who? I know my wife will appreciate the occasional quick, hot, chocolate fix...

I like it.. being able to mix the dry before hand and take the wet with me in a little container to work will let me cook this during those long cold nights on post. And it's a cheap alternative to those "just add water" microwave cakes.

I also thought that it could use more sugar. Perhaps a tablespoon more? Also it seemed to be very dense. Perhaps the best way to describe it would be 'vigorously chewy' cake. Perhaps thats me overmixing the batter, but the recipe did say 'mix thorughly' and 'mix well' and 'mix' yet again. Perhaps if I added all the wet at once and got the mixing over with quickly?

Gonna have to tweak this for personal taste... but it's good as is.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:55 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
Dangerous for who? I know my wife will appreciate the occasional quick, hot, chocolate fix...

I like it.. being able to mix the dry before hand and take the wet with me in a little container to work will let me cook this during those long cold nights on post. And it's a cheap alternative to those "just add water" microwave cakes.

I also thought that it could use more sugar. Perhaps a tablespoon more? Also it seemed to be very dense. Perhaps the best way to describe it would be 'vigorously chewy' cake. Perhaps thats me overmixing the batter, but the recipe did say 'mix thorughly' and 'mix well' and 'mix' yet again. Perhaps if I added all the wet at once and got the mixing over with quickly?

Gonna have to tweak this for personal taste... but it's good as is.

There isn't a lot of leavening power in this cake. It's gonna be a dense cake.

Tags
None