The newest object of my affection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poppinfresh

Senior Cook
Deep fried Twinkies.

(Recipe from...whattocook, I believe)

INGREDIENTS:
  • 6 Hostess Twinkies®
  • Wooden popcycle sticks
  • 4 cups vegetable oil
  • Flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 Tbsp vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp oil
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
DIRECTIONS: Freeze the Twinkies for several hours or overnight. Preheat 4 cups oil in a deep fryer to 375 F. Prepare a batter mixing 1 cup flour, milk, vinegar & oil. In another bowl, blend flour, baking powder & salt. Whisk wet ingredients into dry & continue mixing until smooth. Refrigerate the batter while the oil reaches desired temperature. Push sticks into Twinkies lengthwise, leaving about 2 inches to use as a handle, dust with the remaining flour & dip into the batter. Rotate until batter covers the entire cake, allow excess to drip then place carefully in the hot oil. The Twinkie will float, so hold it under with an extra stick or other utensil, to provide even browning. The cake should turn golden in 3 to 4 minutes. When frying do not crowd the Twinkies, one at a time is probably best. Remove from oil & place on a paper towel to drain. Remove the stick (the center will be to soft to use the stick to hold the Twinkie) & allow to sit for about 5 minutes. Serve warm.

Poppinfresh said:
Deep fried Twinkies.

(Recipe from...whattocook, I believe)

If you will go to the candt forum and search with the keyword fried, you will find several BAD things like this:LOL: I haven't been brave enough to try them yet.

Question: Other than the Twinkie itself not being terribly healthy...why do you consider fried "bad"? From what I've always understood--deep frying is actually one of the healthier methods for cooking something (so long as it's done right)

It's not bad if you don't have high cholesterol or are not overweight. And I've always understood frying to be the worst in cooking. I guess it depends on who you ask. Maybe one of the experts will enlighten us. I'll be ineterested to see everyones take on this.

Well, deep frying has always been labelled better in what I've read on the basis that it tends to form a crust around whatever you're frying, which means none of the oil gets absorbed into the food (which obviously makes it healthier). Just so long as you don't paper towel the food and let the food sit in its own oils (and thusly sog its way in) or start the frying process off too cool, it's supposedly a great way to go.

Back
Top Bottom