Thinking Fruitcake Yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Girl49

Cook
Anyone else have friutcake on the brain yet? I'm the only one in my family who really likes it. Usually, I make a dark fruitcake adapted from a 1980s McCalls recipe (no citron, and dried -- not candied -- fruit, except for my homemade candied orange and lemon peel), and it's great. But this year, I may go lighter. Here's a recipe found on King Arthur site. All reviews are glowing.

Golden Fruitcake: King Arthur Flour

The only fruitcake I have ever liked is my Mom's White Fruitcake because it was moist and full of fruit (no peel). I made it last year, and unfortunately it came out very dry so I was deeply disappointed. The recipe is somewhere here but it was at least a year ago that I posted it.

Fruitcakes/Give Them a Try

I honestly don't know if I dislike fruitcake because I've never had a good one.

Chances are you've never had a really good one.

The dark fruitcake I usually make is fantastic (even folks who tell me they don't like FC say it's good...and how can you go wrong with lots of bourbon?).

I also like fruitcake jokes (I just pretend to be offended). And I found, online, the Society for the Preservation and Protection of Fruitcakes. Sounds a little wacky, but it's fun and a great holiday conversation starter! :)

White Fruitcake

The only fruitcake I have ever liked is my Mom's White Fruitcake...The recipe is somewhere here but it was at least a year ago that I posted it.

Would love to try this if recipe still here somewhere.

We made only 1 cake this year.....First week of October. ~ No one likes it except me and the little brown-eyed girl anyway ~ It has been "seasoned" with Bourbon weekly since making it...Should be perfectly 'ripe' by Christmas......

I ordered mine from the Collin Street Bakery.

I don't put bourbon on mine but, I do like it warmed with a nutmeg sauce spooned over it.

Tis the season:pig:

You know, I've had the sick desire to make a fruitcake for quite sometime now. I've never tried before, so I've only known the jokes that it gets, but it seems like a culinary challenge, which I love to take. So I might consider making one this year. If it doesn't turn out well I can always use it as a new doorstep. :)

We made only 1 cake this year.....First week of October. ~ No one likes it except me and the little brown-eyed girl anyway ~ It has been "seasoned" with Bourbon weekly since making it...Should be perfectly 'ripe' by Christmas......
Uncle you are a man of good taste.I have two left from 2009.
I will marzipan both then my wife will ice, one is for Farmer Dan the Dexter man as part payment for some beef.
I love dark.moist rich fruitcake with cheese.:yum:

The only fruitcake I have ever liked is my Mom's White Fruitcake because it was moist and full of fruit (no peel). I made it last year, and unfortunately it came out very dry so I was deeply disappointed. The recipe is somewhere here but it was at least a year ago that I posted it.
I just came across my grandma's white fruitcake recipe--hers was moist and cakelike. I don't care for fruitcake, so I never make it, but I can post the recipe and you can compare your mom's to it.

I just came across my grandma's white fruitcake recipe--hers was moist and cakelike. I don't care for fruitcake, so I never make it, but I can post the recipe and you can compare your mom's to it.

Yes, please. I like a good white fruitcake.:)

I used to bake a really heavy and dark fruitcake when I was in high school. It took hours to cook, but it was really good.

My mom asks for fruitcake every year. She freezes it. Since her meds made her lose her sense of taste lately, she's keeping the rest in the freezer and takes out a bite every once in awhile in hopes her sense of taste returns.

Did you get a look at mine? I posted the link a few posts back.

CW, I would love to compare your recipe to mine. They could be very close.

Yup! I got it. Can never have too many good fruitcake recipes.

Aren't Dark Fruitcakes made with whole wheat flour? And heavy.

Yup! I got it. Can never have too many good fruitcake recipes.

Aren't Dark Fruitcakes made with whole wheat flour? And heavy.

Not my grandma's recipe. I'll post her dark fruitcake recipe after the white. I HAVE NOT made these. But, she made these every year and they were great. She was an excellent cook and baker. I do make Pffernuesse (german) and soak the fruit in rum or brandy overnight. Another recipe but, I'd probably soak the fruit for fruitcake....

Grandma's White Fruitcake

1 c butter
2 c sugar
5 egg whites - beaten stiff
1 tsp baking powder
3 lb sultan raisins
1 lb citron
1/2 lb lemon peel (and she made this at home)
1/2 lb candied pineapple
1 c walnuts
1 c brazil nuts
1 c candied cherries
2 c coconut

Here are the notes

Do not chop the nuts and fruit into small pieces. Cut fruit in strips so it makes the cake more attractive. Mix as a white cake, adding fruit and nuts last. Bake in moderate oven for 45 minutes. Line the pans (must make more than 1) with several layers of paper (and by paper, she meant brown grocery bags).

If anyone gives this a try, let us know what you think!

Did you get a look at mine? I posted the link a few posts back.

CW, I would love to compare your recipe to mine. They could be very close.
The ingredients are similar--the baking time is different. Maybe you can come up with a "marriage" between the two that is like the one you remember!

I haven't made one in years, but, the one I made I tailored to what we liked.
Only a little batter, mostly fruit and nuts.
Not too much candied citrus peels, no citron. Lots of nuts whole, whole candied cherries, raisins, candied pineapple.
If it's made from things you like, you'll like the fruitcake.
It's very dense and solid, cut in thin slices, it's beautiful to look at.
We soaked ours in whiskey for about a month before Christmas. It's expensive to make but good. Happy Holidays.

I have posted these pics a long time ago, we will be icing two for friends 6 days before the 25th, the cakes were made about feb this year.
This is our wedding cake we got married on valentines day.
Clic on pic img045.jpg

img046.jpg

img043.jpg

img049.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom