"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 04-14-2006, 06:28 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Yey, Eliza, way to go!!

I am glad that you discovered the wonder of Tiramisu can be enjoyed right at home easily!! It always makes me happy to spread the great authentic Italian treats around the world... I am sure it tastes lovely also with the Brandy. I bet your guest will love it, so make sure your hubby won't eat the whole thing before their arrival!!

P.S. now that I got you motivated, I just posted a few other lovely Italian dessert recipes on "Ricotta cheesecake" thread, check it out for a future reference!!

Old 04-17-2006, 02:03 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to Eliza
My friends cldn't stop raving about the tiramisu!!!! thank you!! It was the highlight of our evening and everyone when for second helpings...there was a bit left over and my dear husband promotly finished it the next day!!! hahaah...

I love italian food...now that i've mastered tiramisu..i'm all rav up to try others....

Thank you very much urmaniac13!!! You're a gem and a lifesaver!

Old 09-20-2006, 09:56 PM   #13
Head Chef

Hey Urmaniac, I'm planning to make your Tiramisu again for Saturday night dinner with DH's boss. Can I add some kahlua to the coffee before moistening the savoiardi? I just want to amp the coffee flavor distinctly. I'm not happy with the flavor of my coffee (there's some bitter taste). Not sure if the liqueur would keep or spoil the ladyfingers. I plan to make it late Friday or early Saturday morning. Also, when serving, I'll drizzle chocolate syrup on top of the tiramisu slice. I'm planning to add a dash of Bailey's to the chocolate syrup... whaddayathink?
Old 09-21-2006, 09:51 AM   #14
Sous Chef

This recipe looks great, Urmaniac, and you've now made me very, very hungry.

A question: the first tiramisou I ever had used a chocolate genoise rather than ladyfingers. Come to think of it, so did the second, third and fourth! All here in Greece, so I'm wondering: is this some kind of inaccurate Greek perversion of the authentic recipe? Every Italian take on this does indeed use ladyfingers, as yours does.

Any idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
(the Italian weddings rival to those of Greeks, they keep on eating and eating all day and night!!). This was done to assure the newly weds' very "energetic" and passionate honeymoon following the big feast!!
God, I hate Greek weddings! It's TORTURE to have to look lively and interested at 3:00 in the morning when you really want to be home in bed!
Old 09-21-2006, 09:57 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix
Hey Urmaniac, I'm planning to make your Tiramisu again for Saturday night dinner with DH's boss. Can I add some kahlua to the coffee before moistening the savoiardi? I just want to amp the coffee flavor distinctly. I'm not happy with the flavor of my coffee (there's some bitter taste). Not sure if the liqueur would keep or spoil the ladyfingers. I plan to make it late Friday or early Saturday morning. Also, when serving, I'll drizzle chocolate syrup on top of the tiramisu slice. I'm planning to add a dash of Bailey's to the chocolate syrup... whaddayathink?
Hi Chopstix --

As I've just said above, I think I make a kind of inauthentic version of this (although it's delish!), but it's still similar enough that I'll throw my two cents' worth in about the alcohol:

We dribble espresso over the cake part, and also dark rum (again, I think a Greek thing?). It's seriously yummy and could hardly be said to "spoil" anything!

(My always-in-a-hurry sister-in-law tried making this once but forgot exactly what the various components were (winging it without a recipe, I guess). She remembered "alcohol" and "something brown" sprinkled over the top ... so she added tequila and topped it with cinnamon! We've just called it "Maria's Mexican Tiramisou" from then on!)
Old 09-21-2006, 10:47 AM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
This recipe looks great, Urmaniac, and you've now made me very, very hungry.

A question: the first tiramisou I ever had used a chocolate genoise rather than ladyfingers. Come to think of it, so did the second, third and fourth! All here in Greece, so I'm wondering: is this some kind of inaccurate Greek perversion of the authentic recipe? Every Italian take on this does indeed use ladyfingers, as yours does.
Ayrton, the recipe that was taught me by an Italian (Giuliano Bugialli!) is almost identical to the one Licia posted. the chocolate genoise is delicious, I am sure... but maybe not too "Italian." That doesn't matter, imo, as long as you know it's a variation on the theme...

I like to make mine in a trifle bowl. That's how Giuliano did it, and then spoon it into dessert bowls.

BTW, Giuliano teaches wonderful weeks of Italian cooking in Florence, for anyone who's looking for a fab fun learning vacation!
Old 09-21-2006, 11:59 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Egad, now I have a few questions to answer!!

Well, Chops as I answered in my PM, if you are looking to enhance the coffee flavour, Kahlua maybe an interesting option. However I am not sure of combining two different alcoholic beverages into a dessert recipe, such as marsala/kahlua, and, or kahlua/baileys, I have never tried it. I would prefer using one or another, but having said that, pairing of kahlua and baileys may produce a surprisingly pleasing effect, maybe worth an experiment...

And for the question of Ayrton, and this applies to the usage of rum, kahlua and baileys as well, I agree with Chef June, maybe it is not the authentic recipe, and it should be considered as a "variation", but if it tastes good and works well, I would say go for it by all means!! Making a delicious dessert that will suit you and your family is the most important thing!!

And Chef June, Giuliano sounds like an excellent gourmet maestro... maybe I will look him up when I get to go up to Firenze one of these days!!
Old 09-21-2006, 10:37 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton
We dribble espresso over the cake part, and also dark rum (again, I think a Greek thing?). It's seriously yummy and could hardly be said to "spoil" anything!
Thanks Ayrton! That's really useful to know!
Old 09-21-2006, 10:42 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Well, Chops as I answered in my PM, if you are looking to enhance the coffee flavour, Kahlua maybe an interesting option. However I am not sure of combining two different alcoholic beverages into a dessert recipe, such as marsala/kahlua, and, or kahlua/baileys, I have never tried it. I would prefer using one or another, but having said that, pairing of kahlua and baileys may produce a surprisingly pleasing effect, maybe worth an experiment...
Licia, I love mixing some kahlua with my Bailey's drink. That's how I got the idea of combining the two for the Tiramisu. (In this case though, there'll be 3 different liqueurs -- Kahlua, Bailey's and Marsala, so you do have a point!) I imagine it will still be good! I'll let you know how it turns out! Grazie!
Old 09-22-2006, 07:38 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

can it be put in the freezer to chill?

Tags
None